I might have to put them down!!!

Whitney9988

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Washington
I have a 5 month old chick that has trouble walking. I'm pretty sure it's not splayed leg because I've noticed it's toes don't stay straight, causing it to trip and fall. I tried to put boots on it but it took them off. I've been giving it polyvisol and it doesn't seem to be in pain. It started only a few weeks ago and don't know what could have caused it or if it could be a disease. Maybe a form of rickits lol? I don't think the breed of the bird would have anything to do with it, would it? Any info would be great!
hmm.png

DSC_0565_edited-2.jpg

edited for title

Please read this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=135272

Last edited:
how are you giving the vitamins, and how much?

what all do you feed?
is the chick eating and drinking as usual?

wouldn't hurt to check the crop..

sometimes you can make a boot with cardboard, and tape on..
or use stretchy bandage as a soft splint for the toes.

try this site..

http://www.voy.com/194762/

pretty chick BTW...

Thank you. It's a Silkie/ Americana/ Barred Rock Mix. That's why I wasn't sure if the leg problems were caused by the breed it is.

I tried to make the boots from cardboard and tape but it ripped them off. Is the stretchy bandage the same as what you'd use to rap and cat leg. It does stick to anything except for the bandage itself?

I'm giving it the multivitamins by mouth, and only a couple of drops. For food, it eats layers feed or wet cob as a treat. They'll often get our left overs as well. But it does eat and drink as usual. What do you mean crop?

is the "chick" laying eggs?
if not..it should be on grower feed..not layer feed.

I think the bandage is called coflex..(something like that)

the sooner you splint the toes, the better..

are you giving Poly-vi-sol?

have you checked the crop?

Sorry its taken me so long to write back. I've been a little overwhelmed with stuff.

No, the chick does not lean forward. It is now not walking on it toes but like on its scale(ankle). The foot is bent inward.

No eggs yet. I have some of that but its so course I don't know if it will like it. I'll try the tonight. And I'll get the bandage stuff probably tomorrow.

Yes, I'm giving it polyvisol. Have been doing so for like 1 1/2 weeks.

When it comes to the crop, what should I look for?

Last edited:
how are you giving the Poly-vi-sol?
how much?
what kind of feed do you get? (brand)

sounds like the condition is getting worse if she's now walking on hocks...

to check the crop..it's a small sac near the bottom the neck, on top of the breast..slightly to the bird's right.
at night..it should feel full.
in the morning before she eats..it should feel empty, or flat.
feel for any lumps, or grainy feeling..or any sour odor.
is the crop hard? is it like a balloon? is it soft and squishy?

describe the droppings..color and consistency..

sometimes, this condition is caused by certain vitamin deficiencies..or improper diet.
do you give a lot of treats and scratch corn?

could also be caused by an absorption problem..
sometimes from worms, crop problems etc..
could be genetic.

check the leg joints for heat...could indicate an arthritis caused by staph..
check the bottom of the foot good for any sores, scabs, or possible splinter, etc..

you can try this web site for more help:

http://www.voy.com/194762/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom