I missed a fight in my yard

My granddaughter used to have the same problem. She was dressed in a red coat when the rooster attacked her. Changed to a blue and the problem was resolved. Red is a chicken's favotite color.

sorry eggs
sad.png

Mine went through that when I dumbly introduced some new chickens to the flock. The new roo was smaller and I figured it would be safe. He headed straight for the dominant leghorn. After several attempts to make him behave, he went to the stew pot. In the meantime, Jeffe (my leghorn) was a bloody mess. I left him alone and let him nurse his wounds...he really wanted to be alone. After about a week, he was his old self again. He really is a sweetie in the coop. Hope yours works out as well.

I agree that it would probably seem like Rock lost more blood just because it shows up better on white. My 2 Langshans started fighting when they got older- they had grown up in the same pen too. I had to physically seperate them during one fight, then the black one got moved to his new home. They're bruised and battered for a couple days but once they heal up that ego comes right back.
wink.png
I wouldn't worry too much. Just wipe them down with a wet paper towel and they'll both be fine soon... unless you're set on freezer camp for Rock.

That poor guy hanging his head needs some TLC
hugs.gif

Warmth, rest, fluids, quiet, treats, a bit of a cleaning, maybe aspirin for pain once sure not actively bleeding. I would not hesitate to get in there. Don't have roos and be scared of them - they need you - no fangs to worry about and they can read whether you're fearful or just concerned and in charge. Certainly though if it stresses him out let him rest a bit first. You may want to wait till he's sleepy at bedtime......
JJ

If I went in there now, he'd probably have a heart attack and die on the spot. My Andalusians have never been friendly at all, even the hens. He'd either attack me or flap himself against the chicken wire to try to get away.

I looked closer, and his biggest injury seems to be to the right wattle. On the inside, there's two small gashes. A downy feather has stuck there.

I tossed in a boiled egg yolk, the whole ball, and he was unable to locate it. I tossed in egg whites and he couldn't find those. He acts like his wattles are getting in the way, but I don't see how they're getting in the way more than before. I'm going to put a dog bowl full of mash in there, then hopefully he'll e able to get something.

The White Rock is just laying there looking like he's trying to recover also.

Marlinchaser, he'll be stew. I don't know how to make dumplings, sad, hunh?

nnbreeder, thank you for the heads up. I probably would've passed out seeing that if I hadn't expected it.

The reason I think the rock lost more blood is because there's much more on the outside of the chicken wire. I can see some on the inside, but it doesn't look like someone dragged a bloody towel across it.

I just don't understand why they went so long at this. Are they both that pig-headed?

Quote:
Maybe most of that blood belongs to Blue.
White Rock is not mean, he is just doing what roosters do. [URL]http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif[/URL] It takes two to tango. If I am reading this right they faught through the fence? If so Blue should have backed down, but like a typical roo he either didnt want to give up his spot in the pecking order, or really wanted to displace the Rocks position. [URL]http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5520.gif[/URL] Either way, I would say you dont have a mean roo unless he is mean towards you/your kids, he is just Roo, and apparently the dominate roo of your flock.

P.S. Chickens dont have teeth, so even if he does bite it wont really hurt.
tongue.png

thats what I was thnking. I would take blue out and treat him with a wash and antibiotic ointment and give him a little love, he probably has wounded pride. but you dont want all that blood on either chook as it will attract flies and such.

Quote:
Maybe most of that blood belongs to Blue.
White Rock is not mean, he is just doing what roosters do. [URL]http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif[/URL] It takes two to tango. If I am reading this right they faught through the fence? If so Blue should have backed down, but like a typical roo he either didnt want to give up his spot in the pecking order, or really wanted to displace the Rocks position. [URL]http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5520.gif[/URL] Either way, I would say you dont have a mean roo unless he is mean towards you/your kids, he is just Roo, and apparently the dominate roo of your flock.

P.S. Chickens dont have teeth, so even if he does bite it wont really hurt.
tongue.png

thats what I was thnking. I would take blue out and treat him with a wash and antibiotic ointment and give him a little love, he probably has wounded pride. but you dont want all that blood on either chook as it will attract flies and such.

I'm so relieved that is is cool enough today to have no flies. Warm enough in the sun for them to lay there and rest, but I've seen no flies. I even have the doors open today. I wish I could take him out and TLC him. If he was any other chicken, I would. I'm hoping he'll get more rest with me just keeping the kids away from him.

Back
Top Bottom