I missed a fight in my yard

Eggs4Sale

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
My White Rock roo and Blue Andalusian roo had a cock fight sometime early this morning. The BA is penned up in a trampoline-turned-pen. There is blood on the chicken wire all along most of the perimeter of the pen. There is much more blood on the outside, from the White Rock.

Here's how White Rock looks now:
35639_nov09pt3_018.jpg

He is nursing one foot, and when I saw him standing on both, one spur appeared to be halfway broken off.
35639_nov09pt3_021.jpg

Here is poor Blue, who does not appear to be doing too well. He's bloodied up, as you can see.
35639_nov09pt3_029.jpg

You can see the blood on the chicken wire here, and his disinterest in the hens. His posture tells me he feels awful.
35639_nov09pt3_032.jpg

So for my questions:
Why does Blue look like he's dying, but Rock doesn't? Rock seems to have lost more blood.
Do cocks that look like Blue does right now seem to die or pull through after resting up?
Is this normal for roosters to attack each other in this manner?

White Rock will be going to freezer camp today.
I don't have any need for a mean rooster.
But I admit I'm too scared to go in and get Blue. I fear the injured-dog-bite. When DH wakes up, he has work to do. "Morning, honey, here's the gun and the cage."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have much experience with this, but we had three roosters at one time, and they all got into a huge cockfight. When we discovered them, one had been killed and our dominant rooster had been displaced in the pecking order by a rooster that we weren't planning to keep. We locked up the new "king of the roost" because he was going anyway, but our former dominant rooster's demeanor was similar to that of your black rooster for a day or two. It took him a while to pull himself together. He wouldn't eat unless I hand fed him, he, too, was disinterested in the hens, and he hung his head in shame (or so it seemed). Don't give up on your black. Clean him up, check for and tend to injuries, and wait and see. Pamper him and make sure he feel safe. He may just be recovering from "adrenalin overload" for lack of a better description. Good luck!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I hope this is the case. I've always admired him, though I'm a little nervous around him. When DH wakes up, I'll have him get Blue out and we'll bring him into the kitchen. Or do you think he'd be better off where he is? I'm worried he'll try to attack me if I hand feed him. Will he?

I had gotten my roo as a chick, and he had already been eating out of my hand since he was a baby, so I'm not sure if I would recommend hand feeding your roo if you never have before, but make sure that he has access to food and plenty of water. If you do decide to bring him in, wrap him carefully in a towel to minimize flapping and struggling. (Some even recommend covering their head, so they can't see and become very still like when they are sleeping.) Once we were certain that our roo had no major injuries, we left him alone, but kept checking on him regularly. Our roo's injuries were to wattle, comb, and beak like your, and as awful as they looked at the time, they did heal. More likely than not, his greatest injury is to his spirit, but that will heal as well. Rule out major injury, keep him safe, warm, and fed, and he should recover. (You might want to use some antibiotic ointment on his injuries, if it will not traumatize him further.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe most of that blood belongs to Blue.
White Rock is not mean, he is just doing what roosters do. It takes two to tango. If I am reading this right they faught through the fence? If so Blue should have backed down, but like a typical roo he either didnt want to give up his spot in the pecking order, or really wanted to displace the Rocks position. Either way, I would say you dont have a mean roo unless he is mean towards you/your kids, he is just Roo, and apparently the dominate roo of your flock.

P.S. Chickens dont have teeth, so even if he does bite it wont really hurt.
tongue.png

I was throwing bread crumbs to the hens (which I never do) and he got excited, so I threw some in his pen, and he ran over like he'd eat them, but he seemed to not be able to find them. The crumbs were large enough, but he'd peck around them and look at me for more. I hope his eyes are okay. He didn't manage to find one crumb. I'm boiling eggs now for him. I sure hope he can find those on his own.

Quote:
Maybe most of that blood belongs to Blue.
White Rock is not mean, he is just doing what roosters do. [URL]http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif[/URL] It takes two to tango. If I am reading this right they faught through the fence? If so Blue should have backed down, but like a typical roo he either didnt want to give up his spot in the pecking order, or really wanted to displace the Rocks position. [URL]http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5520.gif[/URL] Either way, I would say you dont have a mean roo unless he is mean towards you/your kids, he is just Roo, and apparently the dominate roo of your flock.

P.S. Chickens dont have teeth, so even if he does bite it wont really hurt.
tongue.png

This one has REALLY big teeth. Huge.

Yes, it was through the fence. White Rock has been in a chicken tractor all these months, and lost his home due to a momma hen and her 6 new chicks needing a home. So he's been loose for a few days. He showed interest in my 3yo months ago, circling him with neck feathers up, which is why he ended up in the tractor.

Tomorrow will be the day that both look bad as the swelling will start later. watch for this but don't freak out as it is normal.

One or both eyes may be swollen shut but it will only last for a day or so. Get some Terramycin eye ointment and treat them with that if they do swell. It will help to keep the area hydrated while it heals.

It may help to clean some of the blood off of Blue just to see what kind of damage is actually there. And maybe a nice bath may help him calm down. Just some simple soap like Dawn will do. Then lightly use a wet paper towel to wash his face/comb/wattles a bit. Don't panic if he falls asleep in the middle of the bath either. My rooster has done that before after he was injured and I gave him a bath.

Back
Top Bottom