I missed a fight in my yard

Blue hasn't eaten anything, the egg is still there untouched. I haven't seen him drink water. He just seems to really be in shock. I hope he can eat tomorrow. His eyes looked okay, and i couldn't figure out what the problem is, so I'm hoping tomorrow is better for him.

Maybe he fell down the stairs with Redhen?

I'm confused... Why can't you just go in and get him out in order to check him? He's still just a chicken, and really can't do much more damage than a really mad hen. Take a sheet in with you, put it over Blue when you go in and pick him up, get his wings down and secure his feet. You really need to check on him if he isn't eating or drinking. Whether he is used to being handled or not doesn't matter. You are a person, you are bigger, and you are stronger. If he tries to kick with his feet grab them in one hand and hold them. If he flops his wings, get them down and tuck him under your arm. Having the blanket will help a lot with all of this.

Unless the blue is giving you reason for concern I would go ahead and check him over. I don't have any problems picking my birds up at any time and they are not used to being handled.

A long handled fish net works really well for catching a bird and it is totally under your control before you ever put your hands on him.

I understand how intimidating it can be to deal with roos (or hens for that matter) if you are not accustomed to handling them, but do you have a friend or neighbor who has more experience with chickens who can help you? Sometimes all a person needs to do a big, scary thing is a bit of moral support. I have a neighbor as well as an uncle I call on when I needed a helping hand or two with my birds. Gradually, I have become more comfortable with my flock and can now tend to many things without help. (I recently had to catch and carry each bird to their coop because they were petrified of the snow that had started falling while they were foraging. They had taken shelter under an outdoor table and absolutely refused to be lured back to the coop, even for treats! Six months ago, I would NEVER have attempted such a feat, and after catching my roo, I felt VERY brave!)

If there is someone who can help you, please call them. We chicken lovers are a breed all our own, and we never mind lending a helping hand. Please don't let your roo's injuries go unattended because of fear. And if you can't find someone to help you, pull on some jeans, boots, a big thick coat, some safety goggle if you've got 'em, a pair of gloves, and a ski mask and take a big beach towel to wrap your roo in and check him out. You'll be covered from head to toe, and he won't be able to hurt you. Good luck! You can do it! (And take your DH out with you. Even if he doesn't get involved with the catching and caring, he'll be there for moral support and to protect you!) Looking forward to a good report!
smile.png

Last edited:
yes you really need to go in to your coops and check and nurce your injured ones. if it makes you feel safer put on a big coat or a couple layers of cloths and a bike, or motocycle helmet. whatever you do make yourself feel safe and then go in there and help them! This is part of the job of keeping chooks, this is when they need you most, even the nastier ones. If you are covered up well and have your face protected there is no harm that can come to you, but in all honesty the roo will probably allow you to handle him just fine as they are alays sweeter and more docile when they are injured. I bet you will be surprised on how calm and appreciative the roo will be if you go in and hold him and treat him.

you cant just keep throwing food in the pen hoping, you have to help please.

I would say not to rush to condemn Rock. After all, he is just being a Roo. I would not condemn him either for ruffling his feathers at a 3 year old. It may be he has not had a lot of exposure to little ones and is not sure what they are. Caution your kids to keep their faces well away from hens and roos alike. They may just peck at an eye because it reflected light, and that is a reflex with all chooks. Put a shiny washer on a string and jerk it thru the run and watch them go nuts pecking it . Sometimes really good dogs are that way too around little ones if they have not had a lot of exposure to them, but it does not mean they are bad. I would give it some time. If they were separated by a barrier of chicken wire, I would be really surprised if Blue doesn't perk up in a day or so. He couls have easily gotten away from Rock at any time.

Heard of a guy picking up dead cocks after cockfights to take home to feed to hogs. It was pretty cold that night, probably 30 degrees or less. They laid in his truck bed all that night. He said he went out the next morning to feed them to his hogs, and three had revived and were all squared off fighting each other in a three-way!

Well DH caught White Rock last night and carried him to the house so I could cut the wing feathers on one side. I've never heard a rooster holler like that, and just keep hollering. He sure has spunk, that's for sure. He hollered the second he was caught and didn't stop hollering till he landed on the ground in my garden, his new home. I looked him over and didn't see anything that looked terrible.

I had a migraine all yesterday, as I was coming down with a cold, so I was really of little use. But I made the mash for Blue, and today he is wooing the ladies again. I threw egg yolk to him again, and he did find some of it and eat it. He looks awful, but everything has clotted up and looks good. I think in a few days, I'm going to give both him and White Rock some lady company, maybe two girls each.

Back
Top Bottom