I moved the golf balls...so shoot me!

melloladies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Merritt Island
Omgoodness... The girls are all (mostly 4/5) happy layers now- we only get eggs in the nestboxes- so I figured I could remove the golf balls... Well my goodness
ep.gif
You would've thought I'd turned the world upsidedown!
They all protested loudly- for days! I finally thought- ya know- I bet they miss their golf balls?!?
th.gif

Found two shiny new ones, plopped one in each box, and voila! My honkiest honker is now settled in on her "egg" and waiting patiently to lay her very own. What kooks. Anybody else have this happen??? Or are mine "special?"
love.gif

My older hens are three years old. I have yet to remove their golfballs. They already look at me like I might be tasty, I don't want to give them any extra incentive.
hide.gif

I think there is something wrong with my hens now!!! everone suggested golf balls so I tried it and they hated it! They would burry or kick them out of whatever space they were in
tongue.png

I have four nest boxes without eggs (balls) I can't get to the eggs until they have all layed for the day because they only use one box! Unless I try to take them out from under a hen!
ep.gif
hide.gif
Would the fake eggs work to make them lay in other boxes!? I have some real looking eggs that I used when they where starting to lay.
big_smile.png
Whadda stink, anyone?

Without the golf ball, the 2 older hens would lay random places in the yard, coop, dirt. With the golf ball, they lay in 1 place. I'm not taking it out. They get a little vocal and look at me sideways when I take an egg. Hate to see what they'd do if I took the golfball too. Hoping it works on the pullets when they start laying, but we'll see.

JoAnn's Fabrics have wooden eggs that look just like real brown ones. My girls kicked out all the golf ball and ping pong balls but like these. I don't want to mess with a good thing so I've left them in the nesting boxes for over a year now.

Back
Top Bottom