I need a chicken id.

Kevinsl06

Chirping
Aug 6, 2021
Hi, I am new to this forum, and I have a bird that seems to be a domesticated Chicken/Quail of some sort. Or at least I think so, but I will leave the identification up to you experts.
Today, north central Texas, hiding in the shade. Sorry for the less than great pics it was in a bad spot.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0979.JPG
    DSCN0979.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0973.JPG
    DSCN0973.JPG
    530.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1001.JPG
    DSCN1001.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 20
I am not sure what it is, but it is not a chicken. Possibly a pheasant or partridge.
Thanks for quick reply!
I am not sure if you are saying a domestic Pheasant or Partridge, or you think it is a wild bird. I am pretty confident it is not something wild, do to that I am a birder, and know the local wild birds quite well. The only ground bird we have here are Northern Bobwhites and they have a strong face pattern among other things.
Hopefully someone else will know something.
Thanks again.

Thanks for quick reply!
I am not sure if you are saying a domestic Pheasant or Partridge, or you think it is a wild bird. I am pretty confident it is not something wild, do to that I am a birder, and know the local wild birds quite well. The only ground bird we have here are Northern Bobwhites and they have a strong face pattern among other things.
Hopefully someone else will know something.
Thanks again.
Could someone be raising and stocking Pheasants for sport?

That's what I think. Possibly an escapee.
I also wonder if someone could even be stocking them for hunting dog trials. Not sure how often this occurs in the OP's area but when I lived in Michigan, I would often see released Bobwhites and pheasants in my yard and near my house due to them being stocked :( I don't believe many survive when they're released like this but some adults would make it

I also wonder if someone could even be stocking them for hunting dog trials. Not sure how often this occurs in the OP's area but when I lived in Michigan, I would often see released Bobwhites and pheasants in my yard and near my house due to them being stocked :( I don't believe many survive when they're released like this but some adults would make it
if you find out the owner is doing that i wouldnt give the bird away.

Back
Top Bottom