I need a sweet potato/marshmallow recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NovaAman, Nov 18, 2011.

1. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Ok, my BF wants to have a sweet potato/yam and marshmallow dish with Thanksgiving dinner... HOWEVER, as I am not very country cooking oriented... I have no idea how to make it. AND NO that was not an insult, please do not take it as such. I cook simple and easy. . BUT Holidays is different. Its really the only time of year that having a zillion different dishes on the menu is ok. Well anyway, Does anyone have a good one. One that a newbie can fix right and not screw it up? Thanks so much.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    NO YOU DON'T. I hate the stuff. [​IMG] That and Greenbean casserole. Yuk poo. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:[​IMG] Sweet potatoes are the BEST ! ! !

Recipe? I don't have a recipe, but I think there is one on a can of yams.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I love that! And it's soooo easy. Just some butter melted with some brown sugar a splash of vanilla, and then you simmer it on the stove with the canned sweet potatoes (yams I guess), and then you toast some marshmellows on top.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I like sweet potatoes and I like marshmallows but not together. Yuk. [​IMG]

I wonder if you can make Smore's out of sweet potatoes and marshmallows? The Cinnamon on the graham cracker might be good. Just subsitute the chocolate with sweet potato mash.

6. kathyinmo

Quote:Oh, I never thought about using the stove top. I always put it in a casserole dish and put it in the oven.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Oh, I never thought about using the stove top. I always put it in a casserole dish and put it in the oven.

Yep, and then I just give it a quick minute under the broiler to toast the marshmellows......

8. kathyinmo

Quote:I think you should try it and then report back to us. You may have just made up a new favorite recipe!

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

So, I can use canned not fresh, and there is a recipe usually on the can? Well, I think I can handle that.

I had a bro in law, he's black, and he got this recipe that he will not share at all, and it was so good! He's from down south ways, and says that its been passed down for ever, and his granny used to make it and she got it from her grams. BUT HE WON'T SHARE IT! What a butt. His was all done in the oven... and he used fresh...

10. kathyinmo

Quote:I had the GREATEST sweet potato pie one time, from a lady at work. She would not share her family secret recipe either. WOW was it ever good though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by