I Need Coop & Run Construction Advice

BudgieKing15

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
Winston-Salem NC
I'm going to build a chicken coop and run for 4 ISA Brown hens. I have a medium sized backyard surrounded by other houses and trees, and I live in a neighborhood. Although I have somewhat of an idea on how to design it, any advice on design or placement of the coop and run would be appreciated!

My most important consideration is drainage. If the area drains it should work well for coop and run. If water drains to it or stands you will probably have issues. I say three more times, drainage, drainage, drainage.

Check for local laws or regulations. Some cities, towns, or HMO's have rules about where to place a coop, if they are allowed at all.

As for design you have way too many options. Much of what we say is more personal preference than any hard and fast rules. For size, you can follow the link in my signature below to get my thoughts. In North Carolina (thanks for including that) your chickens should be able to hit the ground practically every day of the year so coop size isn't as critical as long as you manage them to give them access to the ground. Still I like room.

The absolute minimum I'd consider would be a 4' x 4' coop. Even then you may have challenges fitting food and water in there without them pooping in them from the roosts. The nests would almost have to be hung outside, I'd build 2 nests for four hens.

For four ISA Browns you'd probably be OK with a 4' x 8' run, ISA Browns are bred to take confinement well. If you follow that link you can see that I prefer more room but 4x8 would probably work. But an 8x8 would be so much better.

well I would say first decide how you chicks are gonna live. will they free range the property, be confined to a fenced portion of the property, will they be confined in an enclosed run?

if they are outside then you only need a small secure coop at night.

if they are never to be out in the open then you need a larger coop and decent sized enclosed run to be happy.

if they are confined to a fenced portion of the yard you would only need a small secure coop.

I have a 3x6 coop/nesting box within a 6x12 enclosed run for 8 birds and 5 more already in the brooder. But they have free reign of a fenced area of the property, 25x60 foot. they roost in the run anyway, never in the coop.

My most important consideration is drainage. If the area drains it should work well for coop and run. If water drains to it or stands you will probably have issues. I say three more times, drainage, drainage, drainage.

Check for local laws or regulations. Some cities, towns, or HMO's have rules about where to place a coop, if they are allowed at all.

As for design you have way too many options. Much of what we say is more personal preference than any hard and fast rules. For size, you can follow the link in my signature below to get my thoughts. In North Carolina (thanks for including that) your chickens should be able to hit the ground practically every day of the year so coop size isn't as critical as long as you manage them to give them access to the ground. Still I like room.

The absolute minimum I'd consider would be a 4' x 4' coop. Even then you may have challenges fitting food and water in there without them pooping in them from the roosts. The nests would almost have to be hung outside, I'd build 2 nests for four hens.

For four ISA Browns you'd probably be OK with a 4' x 8' run, ISA Browns are bred to take confinement well. If you follow that link you can see that I prefer more room but 4x8 would probably work. But an 8x8 would be so much better.
All of that x2...

Oh.... and drainage!

Really, a nice dry run smells better. (Well, stinks less)

And the bigger the coop and run are, the less cleaning you need to do, the less it smells.... bigger is just better.

Also, a roofed run is SO NICE!

And, if you go stupid big, and decide later on that chickens are not for you (or move) .... a large coop with attached roofed run can easily be turned into a garden shed and greenhouse... or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom