I need help figuring out my roosters intentions.

rosa1347

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2015
We recently obtained two roosters by a friend, one is very docile the other is fiesty but still lets you handle him.

well the roosters got our coop to themselves two weeks and then we've added our fully feathered baby girls in.

now we expected some dominance acts and sure enough those have faded and they both protect them like they should, but the bigger rooster is pecking my smallest baby in the back of the neck and picking her up and swinging her. I'm scared he's trying to kill her, because she is the only one he dose this to.

should i be worried? because the other rooster dosen't do this.

We recently obtained two roosters by a friend, one is very docile the other is fiesty but still lets you handle him.

well the roosters got our coop to themselves two weeks and then we've added our fully feathered baby girls in.

now we expected some dominance acts and sure enough those have faded and they both protect them like they should, but the bigger rooster is pecking my smallest baby in the back of the neck and picking her up and swinging her. I'm scared he's trying to kill her, because she is the only one he dose this to.

should i be worried? because the other rooster dosen't do this.

A little more information is necessary to answer this for you - how old are the roosters and how old are your females? Are any of the birds bantam? What process did you use to introduce them? How many females do you have? It is quite possible that serious injury and, yes, death could occur depending on the answers above.

A little more information is necessary to answer this for you - how old are the roosters and how old are your females? Are any of the birds bantam? What process did you use to introduce them? How many females do you have? It is quite possible that serious injury and, yes, death could occur depending on the answers above.
we have two sexlinks and four road island reds. my husband knows more than me on the topic so we introduced him as he remembered his mother doing things and put them all in the coop and let them go out on their own. he would peck at first but after a couple days he stopped, now this... our two sexlinks are two weeks older than our road island girls only because we had to wait for them.

i just don't understand why he's targeting her. she's been smaller than the rest from the get go but even so... protective and i just want to kick him.... though i would never thats abuse... but i'm rather irritated.

we have two sexlinks and four road island reds. my husband knows more than me on the topic so we introduced him as he remembered his mother doing things and put them all in the coop and let them go out on their own. he would peck at first but after a couple days he stopped, now this... our two sexlinks are two weeks older than our road island girls only because we had to wait for them.

i just don't understand why he's targeting her. she's been smaller than the rest from the get go but even so... protective and i just want to kick him.... though i would never thats abuse... but i'm rather irritated.

The sex links are a couple of weeks older than your RIR, but how old is that?

The key question is, how old are your roosters, and how old are your girls. Adult roosters will try to breed immature pullets if there are no adult hens for them. This can cause serious injury to the pullets.

The sex links are a couple of weeks older than your RIR, but how old is that?

9 weeks. we waited till the others were ready and put them out. and i don't know the age of the roosters... at all.. they were just given to us

Are they adult roosters? Those girls are way too young to be with grown up roosters. The roosters will try to breed them by grabbing the back of their necks and mounting. He uses his spurs and his grip on the neck to hold himself in position. It is not gentle, the roosters can kill those little girls.

I was afraid you would give such a young age for your littles. While an exact age may not be known, are the roosters mature/grown? Can you post a photo of them If the roosters are beyond 4 months of age this is a situaiton that is a recipe for disaster and your little ones are going to be the ones that pay the price. You really need to separate them, grow your little ones out and then approach your integration differently when the day comes. Also, as pointed out above, your gender ratio is fairly out of balance with only six girls and two roos.

While an exact age may not be known, are the roosters mature/grown?

Pretty sure bet they are much much more mature than the 9 week olds, if they were anywhere close to the age of the 9 week olds they likely wouldn't be identified as "roosters".

To the op take Ole Grey Mare's advice and separate ASAP before some of the chicks are seriously injured or killed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom