I need help finding a hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

That has day olds available now for shipping. Looking for wellsummers or black copper marans. I have looked at Welp, Ideal, MPC, Meyer, and so on. I hope to find a place that will let me buy between five and ten without a outrageous shipping fee.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i would say try to find a local hatchery you could drive to. Also i have come to the conclusion small hatcheries are better.

3. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    also if you want dark eggs i would get them from a hatchery, the eggs wont be very good, if you can incubate eggs, find someone here. if you dont want the dark eggs, then a hatchery is fine

4. mrsengeseth

You are right. I want marans or welsummers for the dark eggs, with a hatchery i dunno if that's what I'll get. The kids and I have been saving for these and have been searching like crazy. I am beginning to think it might be a lost cause.

5. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    you have silkies, just let one or two go broody, and them set. [​IMG]

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

The dark eggs in this photo come from large hatcher Welsumers.

They are as dark as most Marans eggs I have seen posted on this site.

I have seen real chocolate colored Marans eggs from breeders that ask 60.00 a dozen for hatching eggs.

7. mrsengeseth

from which hatchery?? Those are lovely!!

Maybe I need to look for welsummer hatching eggs, huh? I got an incubator today...

8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    The hatchery was Ideal , however I looked on their site and they do not list Welsumers anymore. I am thinking of going back to Welsumers and I found a breeder that says she breeds to egg color and her Welsumer eggs have done well in shows.

I sent her an email asking how long her waiting list is her email address was
    [email protected]. I think she is in CO.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I don't have a lot of time right now but if you'll do a BYC "Author Search" for Tailfeathers, you'll see comments I've made on other posts regarding Welsummers and hatcheries.

Suffice it for now to say that you will most likely be very disappointed in hatchery Welsummers and you can do the breed a favor by getting either hatching eggs or chicks from a good breeder.

You can see my birds on my website. Just click on the applicable album.

God Bless,

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Ideal has Wellies they're just sold out right now. As well as the other dark brown layers they have. Good luck in your search. What kind of incubator did you get? How exciting for the kids [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by