I need help from the ALGEBRA EXPERTS...PLEASE!

Elite Silkies--polynomials can be confusing since there are two types of classifications. The first is degree which depends on the highest power of the variable i.e. linear= first, quadratic = second, cubic = third, quartic= 4th and beyond it just is 5th, 6th etc. Mostly you'll work with linear and quadratic with some cubics. The other classification has to do with the number of terms left when everything is simplified: monomial= 1, binomial = 2, trinomal = 3 etc. Usually most polynomials are described using both so your examples were a 4 termed cubic and a quadratic, trinomial to factor.

When you get to equations they will be just classified as to degree and must have an equal sign. I suspect you''l some be solving linear equations: 2x + 5 = 7 and quadratics x^2 + 3x - 10 = 0 since these two types usually have a solution of some kind. Beyond that it gets complicated and is usually left to advanced algebra.

Hope this helps. If you run into problems you can always PM me. It's been 17 years since I was in a classroom but the stuff doesn't change that much--although my brain has.

Quote:
Thank you so much!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom