I need help naming my new chicks.

Lol, all of the names & reasons people give them are so nice to hear about. I always have a mental list of names I like, but I meet and interact with everyone before they get a name. There are names that I think are great & a great fit that the Mr doesn't like so we don't use. The only one I insisted on was Maybelline. And she was definitely born with it. She, along with 6 of her 'sisters' were rescues that we adopted from a Farm Animal Sanctuary. I have no idea of her breed, but she's a looker!

Attachments

• 20170819_122851.jpg
    20170819_122851.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 7
Lol, all of the names & reasons people give them are so nice to hear about. I always have a mental list of names I like, but I meet and interact with everyone before they get a name. There are names that I think are great & a great fit that the Mr doesn't like so we don't use. The only one I insisted on was Maybelline. And she was definitely born with it. She, along with 6 of her 'sisters' were rescues that we adopted from a Farm Animal Sanctuary. I have no idea of her breed, but she's a looker!
Yes, she's beautiful! An EE maybe? Looks like my Canna Canna!

Ahhh.....Maybelline....that's fantastic!! I may have to *borrow* that name some day!!! (And awesome of you to bring in rescues! ❤️)

We decided when our girls passed away that we didn't want to wait for babies or youngsters to give us more eggs, so we started looking into getting older birds to keep our lone Barred Rock, Pistachio, company. (She had a thin, black mark on her beak as a juvenile, which looked like a moustache. Mr has a moustache & when he eats too many pistachios too fast, he gets pistachios in his moustachio. So she has always been Pistachio, even though the pencil thin moustache has faded.). Now we have a Buff Orphington Mrs Butterworth, the pre-named Auracana (maybe her breed, maybe not) Veronica, Cleopatra (with ear tufts & a collar of great neck feathers that looks like an Egyptian collar necklace), chocolate colored Tootsie Roll, Maybelline, golden feathered Goldilocks & Cookie, who looks like a sugar cookie. If any names suit your girls, feel free to use them!

We decided when our girls passed away that we didn't want to wait for babies or youngsters to give us more eggs, so we started looking into getting older birds to keep our lone Barred Rock, Pistachio, company. (She had a thin, black mark on her beak as a juvenile, which looked like a moustache. Mr has a moustache & when he eats too many pistachios too fast, he gets pistachios in his moustachio. So she has always been Pistachio, even though the pencil thin moustache has faded.). Now we have a Buff Orphington Mrs Butterworth, the pre-named Auracana (maybe her breed, maybe not) Veronica, Cleopatra (with ear tufts & a collar of great neck feathers that looks like an Egyptian collar necklace), chocolate colored Tootsie Roll, Maybelline, golden feathered Goldilocks & Cookie, who looks like a sugar cookie. If any names suit your girls, feel free to use them!
They’re all so cute! Especially the Pistachio story!

Twilight might be a good name.
Training older chicks, hang out with them, give them treats, and holding them on your lap until they get comfortable, then let go still petting them gently so they decide if they want to get down or not, so that they don't think you are always going to hold them against their will. Sometimes it just depends on the personality of the chicken.
Try sitting and putting treats in your lap or in front of you, let them get used to coming to you instead of you going after them.

Cleopatra (with ear tufts & a collar of great neck feathers that looks like an Egyptian collar necklace),
One of my girls is called Josephine (with an accent on the "e", the french Josephine). She's called after napoleon's wife. She needed a regal name, she looks regal. She's also got tufts and a "collar".
I think names occur to you when you look at the girl. Names that suit them. I'm the same as mentioned, I might change a name when it doesn't seem to fit.

Back
Top Bottom