I need HELP, please? Vent Gleet or something more serious?

Diatomaceous earth doesn't help with much of anything. It's seriously dangerous to the lungs of all involved animals, including you, especially your birds, if it gets into the air. Large enough amounts to potentially harm invertebrates will risk getting it into the air and harming your birds. A bird with a mite infection should be given proper mite medications, not DE. It definitely won't help a fungal infection- it's just tiny bits of sharp dirt that scratch the exoskeletons of invertebrates. Fungi are not invertebrates.

;)Depends on how how you use it, it is food grade as recomended, I mix in 2 tbs into a very large food tub every once and a while, so it is not anymore dusty than regular feed. I am going to use it if I feel like using it, and I have only positive things to say about it. It is good for people to hear both sides though.:clap

In that concentration, it wouldn't be dense enough to harm any hypothetical invertebrates. It kills them by scratching their exoskeleton all over, so they die of dehydration from their wounds. That means you have to have a lot of it around them, not just 1 or 2 grains.
And, again, it doesn't work on fungi. Vent gleet is caused by a fungus.

we were just talking about things that were good for our birds, people make up their own minds on what is good for chickens, i made a suggestion on supplements for chickens, and what I do chicken wise, one chicken person to another. I am not trying to own her mind. Or be the only right person, or left person.:cool:

Alright, I'll bite. Why do you use it? What do you think it does? How are its properties useful?
I prefer to figure out what's good for my animals based on what a substance does. For example, I keep isopods (roly-polies), and I give them cuttlebone. The cuttlebone has calcium in it, which helps them develop their exoskeletons. I know what it is, and what it does, and I know that there are no health risk associated with it. I don't just use it because people say it's good for some indefinable thing, I use it because I've read about how, without an additional calcium source, like cuttlebone, isopods can have trouble molting properly.
I'm genuinely asking; have you heard something about DE that I haven't? Because the only thing I've heard that's positive is that, in large amounts, it can be harmful to invertebrates.

I heard that chickens could have cecal vastabitur vermibus, I didn't know if my chickens had cecal vastabitur vermibus, but I heard DE could help, if they did have them. Another chicken lady on youtube swore by it, claiming her hens lay well because of DE. Google says as long as it is food grade, it is okay for chickens to eat, even if it doesn't have any heath benefits, google says at worst it will do nothing. And you very well know, at lest, I would hope that you would know, you could look it up yourself, if you need more information. :celebrate

As far as your other posts, I do follow what you were saying, I used to work at the Dept. of Agriculture's entomology program.

Last edited:
I had one Ameraucana pullet died from Vent Gleet when she was 24 weeks. So much for all the excitement of expecting the very first blue egg. So this time, when I saw the sticky vent feathers, I thought I knew what to do until I trimmed her feathers and saw what underneath. ..
Thank you all for your advices and supports! May you all and my Gem have a peaceful sleep tonight!

Back
Top Bottom