I need HELP, please? Vent Gleet or something more serious?

ArianDolympia

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Hello ,everyone!
At first, I thought my 1 year old Sapphire Gem has Vent Gleet, because she had poop stick to her vent feathers , and then came the awful smell.I separated her from the flock last night since she didn't want to get on the roost.This morning, I gave her 1 capsule of Acidophilus mixed in with yogurt and some mash, ACC water in the side. She didn't want any. I gave her a Epsom salt bath and trimmed her vent feathers and this is what I saw. I had a pullet with Vent Gleet before and the area underneath the vent wasn't swelling with discoloration like this. Have you seen this before? Please, help my girl! Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, yogurt and probiotics are very good as a followup to treatment of a yeast infection. I usually squeeze out half an inch of cream onto my finger then pull down on the hen's wattles to get her to open her beak, then I wipe my finger with the cream off on the inside of her beak. I even had a hen once who happily gobbled it off my finger, as tasteless as it is.

If you meant to post a photo, it didn't post. Click on the "upload file" below. That opens your files on your computer. Select the file where you have your photos, and select the one you want, then click "open". That will transfer it to this page. Then just select the size and hit "post".

Your hen is more likely to have a crop issue than vent gleet. Both smell pretty bad. If she has sour crop, the treatment is actually the same as for vent gleet - an anti-yeast medicine such as Medistatin or miconazole.

There are some cases of sour crop, though, that don't respond to treatment if there is a more serious underlying issue such as cancer.

20190410_133540.jpg 20190410_171516.jpg
If you meant to post a photo, it didn't post. Click on the "upload file" below. That opens your files on your computer. Select the file where you have your photos, and select the one you want, then click "open". That will transfer it to this page. Then just select the size and hit "post".

Your hen is more likely to have a crop issue than vent gleet. Both smell pretty bad. If she has sour crop, the treatment is actually the same as for vent gleet - an anti-yeast medicine such as Medistatin or miconazole.

There are some cases of sour crop, though, that don't respond to treatment if there is a more serious underlying issue such as cancer.
I'm using my phone to upload the pics. Can you see them now? 20190410_171516.jpg 20190410_133540.jpg

I randomly give my birds yogurt. In the water I put drops of vinegar, also I let them eat left over salad with vinegar, they love it. I also put in electrolights for poultry,(just a pinch) and you can get powder probiotics to put in their water too. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom