Help! Vent gleet or something else? (Pic attached)

ColonelMustard

Chirping
Aug 2, 2023
Looks darker than the pictures I’ve seen of discharge from vent gleet. Noticed she was separated from the flock and had no energy to eat. She seemed very disoriented and had trouble standing for a moment when I put her back down.

She is currently separated in a dog crate with food and water.

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpeg
    IMG_6229.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I assume it smells pretty bad too. She needs to be on probiotics pronto. You can use Monistat cream on her tush. Bathe, dry, then smear that on a couple times a day.

Sugarfree Greek yogurt is one of the higher probiotic foods. You can also find powdered products in farm stores like Hydro Hen that goes in their water. Scrambled eggs might help her too.

Looks darker than the pictures I’ve seen of discharge from vent gleet. Noticed she was separated from the flock and had no energy to eat. She seemed very disoriented and had trouble standing for a moment when I put her back down.

She is currently separated in a dog crate with food and water.
When was her last egg?
Has she been laying soft shelled or shell less eggs? Have you seen any membranes hanging from her vent?
Has she ever laid a Lash Egg?
Has she prolapsed recently?

Is she straining?

Is she able to poop?

I would start by giving her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet or 1 Tums, asap! This may help her expel more material.

Then give her a good cleanup and soaking if she's not lethargic. I'd use a bit of original dawn dish soap in the water. Access the wound (Scab) that is on the upper lip of her vent.
Once you have her washed up, apply triple antibiotic ointment to the scab.

IF she's lethargic, don't soak her. Place her in a steamed up bathroom or just wipe or spray the vent area to clean it up a bit.
I'd still put a bit of ointment on the scab to help keep it relatively soft, but it's not a do or die type of thing.

But get the Calcium into her. Try to get her hydrated.

To me this looks like yolk, could be some lash material that she's trying to expel.

I'd consider giving an antibiotic, Amoxicillin would be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom