I Need Help!!!!! Rescued Chicks In Bad Shape.... UPDATE!!

Every baby chick seems to respond to scrambled eggs chopped fine with a potato masher. That would be a great source of extra protein, then they would probably eat chick starter after that. Dip their beaks in the water a little, too to make them drink if they are too weak. Great of you to give them a chance! Hope they all make it.

I swear by Nutri-Drench for debilitated animals- Agway usually carries it. The stuff helped me save a weak pair of newborn goat kids years ago, it's a mixture of molasses and vitamin supplements. You'll need the stuff labeled for poultry- you can add it to their water, or give it directly- I wouldn't do more than a drop or two directly for young chicks. Good luck!

Okay.....been absent for a couple of hours doing "sick chick mommy" stuff.....I boiled eggs and mashed up the yolks (haven't given them any of that yet) ...... went to store and bought plain yogurt ..... had to go buy another feeder and waterer ...lol...... had an "AHA" moment while driving past PetSmart......Mealworms!!! I figured if the EE wasn't going to eat anyway, what could it hurt to try?!?! So, I mixed all three sets of babies some crumbles and yogurt (my oldest, last weeks babies, and the sick babies), and put two small mealworms in with the EE ......worked like a CHARM!!!!!!!! It took a while for the baby to get interested, but eventually it couldn't resist all that wiggling!!!! She ate both of them!!! She actually wandered around in the brooder for a few minutes, got a sip of water, and lay down WITH the banty babies!!!! (She's been on opposite side of brooder all day) She looks more alert than I have seen her!! I know there's still a long way to go, but I'll take what I can get!!! (and I did put in some parakeet grit)

I also got some tiny cotton swabs and treated all the little bottoms again before I left for shopping, and I actually penetrated their vents just a tiny bit with the swabs ...... there were poops in the brooder when I got home!!!!!!! BIG ONES!!!!!

I'm almost afraid of doing too much, but want to try every idea to find what is going to work!!! Now, I have a little bit of hope. (but still cautious with my excitement)

Thank you all for your replies and ideas ...... and especially for your encouragement and concern!!!! I will keep everyone posted.......
fl.gif

Forgot to mention that I picked up some electrolytes at TSC. Not Save-A-Chick....they have been out of that for a while now.....but something easy to mix that I won't overdose them on....... can't remember the name at the moment.

Eggcessive.....I think I will try scrambled eggs next time.....it seems like such a waste to not use the entire egg!

Barefootmom......I think I will use Vaseline next time I clean them too.....seems like that would stay around a little longer than the Olive oil!

Taylorhen......my heart gets me into a lot of trouble sometimes!!! But, my thought for these babies was...."If they are going to die, they are NOT going to die in those conditions!!" My husband wasn't happy.....but when he saw my face, he softened up!!

I feel like I've written a book here!!!!!! Sorry for the long posts!

I did the same thing at our local feed store this year. The straight run white rock bin had about 7 with really bad pasty. I told the kid working there and he said yeah I know. I said well they need cleaned. He told me I dont do that so I said bring me some warm water and paper towel and I'll do it, So he gets a box puts the chicks in it and handed it to me. Gave me all 7 for free. So do you know what I did next? Got a job there. Now I am in charge of the chicks although we are about done with them now. So gald you took them.

Yea, yea, yea that sounds like good news. I know not out of the woods but, at least looking up. Good luck sweety, I hope you and your little ones do well.
tongue.png

Quote:

I know the feeling...Me and my DH was in TSC so many times in a week..that I ended up with a job...Ask if they were hiring an in 2 days they hired me....because I was interesed in chics and I love animals....LOL..Now I can ask people that know about farming and animals and LOVE my job at the same time.....LOVE MY LIFE!!!!

Back
Top Bottom