i need help understanding genetics for pekin bantams

pekin queen

Crowing
Jan 29, 2022
the middle of no where
hi i need help understanding the genetics of the mottled pekin bantams, i have decided that i wont to learn genetics, now that i have learnt lots of other stuff there is to learn about chickens, so any help would be appreciated,

hi i need help understanding the genetics of the mottled pekin bantams, i have decided that i wont to learn genetics, now that i have learnt lots of other stuff there is to learn about chickens, so any help would be appreciated,
Mottled Pekin Bantams have the same genetics(as far as phenotype goes) for the Mottled Pattern. That is recessive mottling on a self black background.

E/E(extended black) and recessive mottling(mo/mo) that is very simple

1644503589504.png

Currently there are 4 known mutations on the mottling allele, possibly 5.

Mo+/Mo+ = All black, the dominant wildtype non mottling allele

mo/mo = The most known type of mottling found in European/American breeds, found in mottled houdan(genetically sequenced)

mo^J/mo^J = This is an allelic mutation of mottling found in Japanese breeds(have been genetically sequenced and found to be different)

mo^W/mo^W = This is an allelic mutation of mottling that makes the birds completely white, it was found on White Ohiki breed and it is currently known as Tyrosinase Independent Recessive White (mo^w)

mo^U/mo^U = Millie Fleur d^Uccle were also sequenced for the mottling allele and no mutation was found. It is postulated by the research that the mutation is just outside of the coding region of the mottling allele

I also believe that the White Crest in Polish could be an allelic mutation(either inside or outside of the coding region)

An example of the Japanese mottling allelic mutation(mo^J) is The Mottled Japanese Bantam. It's entirely white with a black Head Spot

1644508215965.png

You can find more info about mottling and it's allelic mutations here on my thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tling-and-its-many-allelic-mutations.1331859/

Last edited:
Mottled Pekin Bantams have the same genetics(as far as phenotype goes) for the Mottled Pattern. That is recessive mottling on a self black background.

E/E(extended black) and recessive mottling(mo/mo) that is very simple

View attachment 2989425

Currently there are 4 known mutations on the mottling allele, possibly 5.

Mo+/Mo+ = All black, the dominant wildtype non mottling allele

mo/mo = The most known type of mottling found in European/American breeds, found in mottled houdan(genetically sequenced)

mo^J/mo^J = This is an allelic mutation of mottling found in Japanese breeds(have been genetically sequenced and found to be different)

mo^W/mo^W = This is an allelic mutation of mottling that makes the birds completely white, it was found on White Ohiki breed and it is currently known as Tyrosinase Independent Recessive White (mo^w)

mo^U/mo^U = Millie Fleur d^Uccle were also sequenced for the mottling allele and no mutation was found. It is postulated by the research that the mutation is just outside of the coding region of the mottling allele

I also believe that the White Crest in Polish could be an allelic mutation(either inside or outside of the coding region)

An example of the Japanese mottling allelic mutation(mo^J) is The Mottled Japanese Bantam. It's entirely white with a black Head Spot

View attachment 2989504

You can find more info about mottling and it's allelic mutations here on my thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tling-and-its-many-allelic-mutations.1331859/
thanks that does help a lot

Back
Top Bottom