I need help with my hen as well

Nickvrad

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
Hello again, I have an issue with one of my hen's as well. Her eye was close and a little swollen like for about a day. After that she opened it but there's white bubbly foam in the corner of her eye and has been a few days now since. At the same time she shakes her head often and also I noticed her poop is watery and white. She eats and drinks normally though. I tried vetericyn pink eye spray and also vet rx just in case of respiratory issue, but I don't know what else to do. Please any ideas about what's wrong and how to help her?

She could be showing signs of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. Conjunctivitis, foamy eye, and swelling can be common. Could she have been pecked near the eye? Have you added any new birds recentlyClean the eye with eye wash or saline, then apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day. If symptoms worsen, you can get Tylosin online from Jedds.com, and treat her water.

She could be showing signs of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. Conjunctivitis, foamy eye, and swelling can be common. Could she have been pecked near the eye? Have you added any new birds recentlyClean the eye with eye wash or saline, then apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day. If symptoms worsen, you can get Tylosin online from Jedds.com, and treat her water.
Thank you for your reply. There's no new birds in the flock for a long time now. From their behavior I can tell that they don't bully her, so I don't think someone pecked her. I will try your advice and see how she goes. Tylosin you mean Tylan 50? If yes just in the water and not the injection type?

Tylosin powder is the powder form of Tylan injectable. It is put into the water 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Here is where to order it:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

If using Tylan 50 injectable, you can give it orally, 1/4 tsp per pound of weight 3 times a day for 3-5 days.

@Nickvrad Note that the above dosage is 1/4 ml per pound, not 1/4 tsp per pound.

Last edited:
Tylosin powder is the powder form of Tylan injectable. It is put into the water 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Here is where to order it:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

If using Tylan 50 injectable, you can give it orally, 1/4 tsp per pound of weight 3 times a day for 3-5 days.

@Nickvrad Note that the above dosage is 1/4 ml per pound, not 1/4 tsp per pound.
Ouch I was giving her the tsp dosage for a day.....

Back
Top Bottom