Help my chickens

CassyGurl

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
started off with my salmon lady the other day and her one eye is swollen n now today I notice my tiny hen has swollen eye and my salmon rooster is starting to look like he doesn’t feel well…help what I can treat my flock with? Everyone still seems to be eating and running around but my salmon hen is starting to hangout in the corner alone. What do I do??

Attachments

• IMG_8196.jpeg
    IMG_8196.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8195.jpeg
    IMG_8195.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8194.jpeg
    IMG_8194.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8193.jpeg
    IMG_8193.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8192.jpeg
    IMG_8192.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8197.jpeg
    IMG_8197.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8198.jpeg
    IMG_8198.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8190.jpeg
    IMG_8190.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8191.jpeg
    IMG_8191.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 11
Have you added new birds recently?

Looks like respiratory infection. I see bubbles in the eyes so it may be Mycoplasma, but hard to know.
General care is to flush eye with saline, clean out any debris or push out pus, then apply Terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day.
Tylosin can be purchased online, the antibiotic may help lessen some symptoms.

Do you see lice or mites on the birds?

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Have you added new birds recently?

Looks like respiratory infection. I see bubbles in the eyes so it may be Mycoplasma, but hard to know.
General care is to flush eye with saline, clean out any debris or push out pus, then apply Terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day.
Tylosin can be purchased online, the antibiotic may help lessen some symptoms.

Do you see lice or mites on the birds?

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
It’s been awhile since I’ve added any birds and I quarantine everyone away from eachother. I haven’t noticed any bubbles in anyone’s eyes I have heard some sneezing noises. I also did have a run in with mites & lice everyone & everything was treated for that a month-3 months ago I haven’t seen anymore on anyone & are in a new coop just purchased sometime within the last month. I’ll read up on the link..thanks.

Last edited:
Well my partridge Cochin rooster has a bunch of white bubbles in his eye? I have like 30 birds in that coop…what’s recommended for this as I see it’s not curable? Do I cull the ones showing symptoms? Do I cull all? Can I sanitize and reuse the coop? What about the soil is the soil bad now? Can I even have other birds in that area ever again? Ughh I was fixing to move my call ducks over there not in the same coop but the same general area.

I hate to say the ugly word, but are you in an Avian Flu zone?
I’m honestly not sure…I’m in ohio…and I know we have wild Canadian geese that fly over on their way to my neighbors pond. But they are bird haters n always do stuff to get rid of birds that land.

Well my partridge Cochin rooster has a bunch of white bubbles in his eye? I have like 30 birds in that coop…what’s recommended for this as I see it’s not curable? Do I cull the ones showing symptoms? Do I cull all? Can I sanitize and reuse the coop? What about the soil is the soil bad now? Can I even have other birds in that area ever again? Ughh I was fixing to move my call ducks over there not in the same coop but the same general area.

I haven’t noticed any bubbles in anyone’s eyes I have heard some sneezing noises. I also did have a run in with mites & lice everyone & everything was treated for that a month-3 months ago I haven’t seen anymore on anyone
There are bubbles in the eyes in your photos.

Glad you finally see the bubbles, as for treatment, you can try treating as previously suggested, if the cause of the symptoms is MG.
Without testing, it's hard to know.

Mycoplasma makes birds carriers for life. Depending on your goals, culling all and starting over may make sense. Some do, some don't but they keep a closed flock.

Getting testing will tell you what they have.

Tylosin
can be purchased online, the antibiotic may help lessen some symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom