I need help

Greene55

Chirping
Apr 26, 2018
so my Brody hen hatched a egg this morning my mistake she lives in co-op still with other chickens now I went an discovered the chick out from under hen an hen was pecking it wasn't sure if she was trying to get back under her but chick had blood around right ear I panicked took the chick no it's alone under heat lamp an a container ,, should I of left it perhaps she was gonna eat it ? it's chirping an acting like it's almost able to stand should I put back with hen or what do I do help please hurry
1541778149240255658510.jpg

so she is still sitting on the rest an it was the flocks first hatch yaaaay lol yes more arrive soon as her an one other broody sit on nest imside the main coop
When chicks start hatching they need to be blocked in with the broody hen and food and water and block others out while her protective hormone and instincts and the bond grow. It is not at all uncommon for new hatchlings to accidentally get out and face brutality and not yet know how to get back under mum. The confused mum may be pecking all around... I would NOT currently accuse her of being a chick killer. I have seen other hens cause so much confusion to make the mother hen a raging lunatic! Once the mom calms down she will continue clucking to the eggs under her. Getting to know their voice and them hers. I have seen mum's peck early hatched chick to tell them get back under me as well. So ya gotta pay attention and be vigilant. Broody's aren't just a set it and forget it type deal as some would lead us to believe. It is a lot of work for the keeper as well. At least for me. Some people completely separate the broody from the flock, I don't... but I do have to provide protection the first couple days until mum is ready to come off the nest.

Keep this chick under the lamp while others are hatching and long enough to see if it will survive. If it does then it will be able to be tucked back under her in the next day or so. If you feel the need, then collect all who hatch and tuck them back in at the same time. Usually early evening after dark, so she can feel the movement under her all night and hear their voices.

Hope your baby makes it. Your hen is a beauty! :love

I would keep it separate for now, just make sure it stays warm. If you can, separate the broody hen and after another chick hatches try to smuggle the original one under her. But if the mother was allowing the other hen to peck her chick or if she was doing it herself, keep it/any other chicks away and in the brooder for right now.

so sad my first chicky is dead :(
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

In my personal experience, this was an accident and I would give the hen a second chance... but with better provisions to keep the chicks inside the box. It's a personal choice though and each experience may be different. There is ALWAYS some risk. :fl

Any more hatch? :jumpy:jumpy

Id give her a chance. Block her nest off from the flock, put some food and water within her reach and let her alone to hatch her babies. You will soon find out if she's a good mother or not. Broodies often lose weight and condition. She will regain it. Sorry about your lost chick.
If the chick had a bit of blood on it, that could be the reason mom pecked at it.
If your other hen hatches chicks around the same time as this one, you can give her the chicks if this hen isn't a good mother. Slip them under her at night. Good luck and watch this mama carefully.

Put some towels warm from the dryer near the chick (not hot!) to keep him warm for now can you get a picture of the affected area after he calms down?

Also, the blood may just be a vessel or something that came out when the chick hatched. But is a hen was pecking at it, it may be an injury.

I sent a pic did u see with heat lamp over her .. but the hen was pecking the chick perhaps because I was there , so do I keep the chick separate then yes??

I have no experience with a broody hatching chicks but it sounds like she was going to kill it. Some broodies aren't good mothers.
Has this chicken raised chicks before? Are there any other eggs starting to hatch? Is she still tending to the rest of the eggs?
I would set up a brooder and quick so you can pull the rest of the chicks as they start to hatch. If she is not sitting on them, they need to be kept warm.
I'm sure some of the experienced people will chime in shortly.

I have no experience with a broody hatching chicks but it sounds like she was going to kill it. Some broodies aren't good mothers.
Has this chicken raised chicks before? Are there any other eggs starting to hatch? Is she still tending to the rest of the eggs?
I would set up a brooder and quick so you can pull the rest of the chicks as they start to hatch. If she is not sitting on them, they need to be kept warm.
I'm sure some of the experienced people will chime in shortly.
so she is still sitting on the rest an it was the flocks first hatch yaaaay lol yes more arrive soon as her an one other broody sit on nest imside the main coop

Back
Top Bottom