I need ideas for a run PLEASE post Pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Jun 21, 2010.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Hi i really need a good idea for a run please post Pics of yours they can be fancy or really simple.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Here is mine. I finished it last year, and it has been wonderful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I can be no help here. My run is a cobbled-together mess of T-posts, 3 layers of fencing (chicken wire, covered by hardware cloth at the bottom, then another layer of that plastic poultry fencing), and bird netting over the top. REALLY tacky.

But it works. It's about 12 feet wide by 25 feet long on one side, and then juts out in an L shape of about another 15 feet outward for the last 15 feet on the other side.

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I would like to see

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I absolutely LOVE your run! My favorite run yet on BYC. It's almost identical to what I imagined in my head. Can I ask, what are the measurements of your run? And why do people use what appears in photos to be washers around the screws? Is it more secure that way against predators? What part of the country are you in, do you get snow? If so, does it snow into the run at all or does the roof keep most of it off?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. razmond

razmond Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:[​IMG] Wow. Really nicely done on so many levels. I was gonna tell ya how I like the paint color, design.... until I realized I just like the whole thing. I've got coop envy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks. I forgot the exact dimensions, but i can easily check. The "fender washers" are used to cover a large surface area of the hardware cloth. It makes for a secure attachment that can be removed easily. I used v groove tin for the roof. Yes, it will withstand a snow load DEPENDENT on the pitch of the roof and how you space your supports. The only snow that can get in is the snow that blows in sideways. You can can control that by making a larger overhang. Notice the overhang on the coop. Nothing gets on the nest boxes or blow in the back window. Having a dry run is GREAT!! There is really nothing major that I would change about the design. BTW, I am in NC.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:Wow, that's excellent - that's what my run looks like....in my fantasies! [​IMG]

9. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I am new but here is my run.
    [​IMG]
    I divided it in half so while one side is regrowing the chicks can be on the other side. so far has worked well
    [​IMG]
    Have put tarps over the top to give them shade, still need to add a roof. It does have netting on top too.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:That is just beautiful. Not only envious of the run but of the flat land! In the foothills here in CA (2500 ft), there's not much flat land.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by