I need some advice about a button quail...

metapuns

In the Brooder
May 16, 2018
I'm a major animal fanatic and I spend a lot of time browsing classified pet ads to see what pets people are rehoming. Today I found an ad for a supposedly 3 year old male button quail, alone, in an absolutely tiny tank, with a hamster wheel, bedding, and a food + water dish. He supposedly belonged to someone who can no longer care for it and is being sold by a family, friend, etc. I presume. He is described as very lively but I'm kinda worried... I'm not an expert on quails but I've been doing my research and looking for over a year. I don't think I could get 2 quails because my area is not very "rural" and I don't want to have to rehome a younger quail or get more and more to keep them healthy. It's just been eating me up if I should take this quail if he still needs rehoming. I know quails need mates and can die without one, but he's already well into his life. If I were to get him... Would I do more harm than good? Is there a way to keep a quail alone by giving them stimulation, mirrors, etc? If anyone here lives in Ontario, Canada, and is interested I will link the ad. Thank you!

I saw the ad you are talking about and he is sweet. I think if you got him I would just keep him inside and alone but certainly add stimulation and a longer (not taller) enclosure. The owner also had finches so he's probably used to watching the other birds. He may not accept another bird or change well since they have had him 3 years like that. Plus their lifespan is only about 4 years.

Last edited:
If you take him and keep him indoors, you might find he is very loud - when kept alone, buttons tend to call a lot.
I've never had a button that has been kept alone for that long, so I don't know if they do get used to it, but if he calls a lot, boinks in his cage at night or paces a lot in the cage, I'd try to get him a mate regardless of what he's used to. Introduce them to each other the right way, and I think you'll be just fine.
I'm not a fan of mirrors for birds, as anything but a very temporary solution. The birds might see the bird in the mirror as a friend, but then they'll be frustrated they can't interact properly with this friend. They might also see it as an enemy or something scary and be downright stressed by it.
According to the literature I've read, males tend to live for 6 years while females usually only live 4 years, so he might have quite some time left. If you could get a female that's 1-2 years old, there is a good chance their remaining life span will be about the same.
I don't think you'd do more harm that good by taking him - if nothing else, you can at least give him a larger cage with more appropriate contents.

I saw the ad you are talking about and he is sweet. I think if you got him I would just keep him inside and alone but certainly add stimulation and a longer (not taller) enclosure. The owner also had finches so he's probably used to watching the other birds. He may not accept another bird or change well since they have had him 3 years like that. Plus their lifespan is only about 4 years.
I noticed that too, that the finches were beside his tank. I contacted her and she said someone was coming to look at them, so I'm not gonna take him if someone else can!

I can see why you were tempted he or she looks really sweet and the tank looks so boring for him too. Sounds like a seniors pets that they couldn't care for any longer.

Back
Top Bottom