I need some help here.

If you don'y mind smelling purdy for your chickens :) , I use those body sprays like Victorias secret or Bath and Body. As a teacher, I do get many as gifts and kapow! they are strong . Mosquitos don't like them either.

Specifically Bombshell by Victoria Secret.
I use it and it really does work. Expensive but smells good.

Beer .... My Dad never got mosquito bites, he drank alot of beer. Thinking it's the yeast, no clue. I tried "organic" stuff but end up with bug spray in a pump. Mosquitos LOVE my blood, wonder if its got anything to do with blood type?

2x @BigBlueHen53 Forgot about that, the Original Skin So Soft Body Oil. That worked pretty good & smelled good too.

I typically get bit a lot and my daughter that's 8 years old does too. Her bites turn into huge welts that are the size of a half dollar. I have used dryer sheets hanging out of each shoe, tied around sleeves, any and everywhere I can attach them but this doesn't work for us. I have started to use an abnoxiously strong DIY repellent that has lemongrass, Peppermint (which also cools), and Lavender oils added to Avon's Skin So Soft. I have also increased my intake of garlic as I read about that helping. We rarely get mosquito bites anymore. The only time is when we haven't applied our "armor".
I've also heard wonderful things about the "Spartan Mosquito Eradicator". I tried them last year but I honestly believe that I needed more of them up because i have a large pond that I'm sure the mosquitoes love.
I truly believe that mosquitoes are attracted to certain blood type or maybe the blood types react to the bites in a worse way.
Wishing you the best in the fight against mosquitoes. I am generally not a person that "hates" anything, but I have a very deep hate for mosquitoes.

I use a Dynatrap. It's a device that attracts mosquitos with a lure and ultraviolet light. Then it sucks them in with a strong fan and contains them in a reservoir. What's also important is that mosquitoes have a short life and don't fly very far from where they were bred. So when you gather the ones on your property they don't have an opportunity to breed and are virtually eliminated except for the random 1 or 2 that the winds may blow in.

I've had a large Dynatrap in the backyard for 3 years because we wanted to use our pool without the irritation of mosquitos. And I have a second small one near a fountain where the water is an opportunity for them to breed. We haven't had a problem in the 3 years we've been using them.

Dynatraps won't attract pollinators. There's no poison whatsoever. When the insects are contained they simply live out their short lives where they can't bother anyone. in fact, when I empty the reservoir about once a year I give the accumulated insect carcasses to my chickens.

The trick is to locate it rather centrally on your property but AWAY from where you intend to be. ...so you're not attracting insects into your zone. It needs to have an electrical connection and hang at roughly 3'-5' off the ground in the fly zone of mosquitos. And you want to run it 24/7 for the months when the mosquitoes are active.

Back
Top Bottom