I need some help in regards of my neighbor's chickens

Leohart

Hatching
Jul 17, 2018
Hello! This is my first post, and I have to say I do not own any chickens myself(although I love them and would enjoy having one as a household pet), although I do have several cats. I live in Kentucky, just along the outskirts of a town, but it feels more countryside than suburban.

However, my neighbor has chickens, and as much as I love how pretty and charming they are, they're total nuisances. The neighbor who owns the chickens is actually my landlords boyfriend, and he moved in about maybe two years ago, and he brought his many chickens with him(including an aggressive rooster, but he passed away several months after). They are free-range chickens, and at the start they primarily just lived on their own property, I enjoyed watching them. He eventually got around to build a shoddy coop, but no fencing. As he got more chickens and the more chicks that hatched, they started to spread out to my property and I can even hear some across the street!

I don't mind the early-morning crowing, or the hens squawking here and there and I also really like this form of pest control, but one of the problems is that they come over to the porch and eat my cat's food, defecate on the porch, and peck my cats. For about a year now, every morning for a few hours I have to chase them off back to their owners land, as well as every afternoon. I understand the chickens themselves have no knowledge of 'right and wrong' and 'boundaries' but I have told the neighbors numerous times to fence up their chickens.

It should also be said that they have lost many adult chickens and chicks over the course of living here. There's MANY dogs that roam around here, and even though they seem friendly to humans, they aren't exactly attached to the chickens. Several months ago, something dragged an extremely distressed animal under the house, and it really terrified my family. If I recall, the neighbor even said he was missing a chicken the day after. There are so many wild animals here, that I wish I could bring all of my outdoor kitties in, but our house is just too small to support all five of my cats.

I don't want to hurt their chickens, but I feel like I'll have to do something drastic to make my neighbors understand that their chickens are not safe out here! They are such a tempting treat to any hungry creature, and no matter what I seem to tell them, they never want to construct some form of fencing. Even as I type this, I just had to chase off a younger chicken as they just realized that cat food bowl = free food. Should I just coexist with them and try to manage the food better? Or maybe just try to feed them somewhere else? I really feel like I'm at my wits end.
Thanks for reading.

It is a rough position to be in, especially with him being your landlord's boy friend. And you are renting, you don't own your place. And you let your cats roam outside, with them being cats they probably don't stay home. This one gets really complicated really quickly. If you complain about the chickens do they complain about your cats? Could they?

Obviously they don't mind some losses, that's not a bargaining point. You could try complaining to the legal authorities about them being nuisances on your property or a public danger since they play in the road. They could cause an accident if someone tries to avoid one. I don't know if you are under town or county jurisdiction or how effective that might be. Some of that depends on what laws are on the books, some on the discretion of the officer. Are you willing to go to war with your landlord's boyfriend? What kind of fallout might you see from that. Have you talked to the landlord about it?

Another option is to try to manage it with fences or where you feed. Tell your landlord why yo are building fences. I know he should manage his animals but he is not. Should isn't all that effective.

Like I said, a rough position. I wish you luck!

It is a rough position to be in, especially with him being your landlord's boy friend. And you are renting, you don't own your place. And you let your cats roam outside, with them being cats they probably don't stay home. This one gets really complicated really quickly. If you complain about the chickens do they complain about your cats? Could they?

Obviously they don't mind some losses, that's not a bargaining point. You could try complaining to the legal authorities about them being nuisances on your property or a public danger since they play in the road. They could cause an accident if someone tries to avoid one. I don't know if you are under town or county jurisdiction or how effective that might be. Some of that depends on what laws are on the books, some on the discretion of the officer. Are you willing to go to war with your landlord's boyfriend? What kind of fallout might you see from that. Have you talked to the landlord about it?

Another option is to try to manage it with fences or where you feed. Tell your landlord why yo are building fences. I know he should manage his animals but he is not. Should isn't all that effective.

Like I said, a rough position. I wish you luck!

I appreciate the response! I haven't heard any complaints from my landlord about the cats, though I do know she feeds some strays. My family is decently friendly with them, and again I really don't want to see any of their or my animals hurt.
I will definitely see about fencing my own property instead, once again thanks!

Ive had troublesome neighbors in the past. I had tried talking to them nicely, leaving notes and eventually talking to the landlord. Basically nothing changed and nothing was done. I ended up moving to a better place and guess what? No bad neighbors! Some people are just inconsiderate and do not care. We are fortunate to have wonderful neighbors and they love our birds. If our birds bothered our neighbors we would do something but fortunately they do not. I suggest that if you have gone through all possible options you just move. Youre only renting after all. Maybe move to an area that doesnt allow chickens?

As others have said given the relationship between the landlord and the 'chicken keeper' things could get touchy. Could you feed the cats a couple of times a day and then remove the feed or feed in area that the chickens can not access ?

That is a tough one. Maybe try asking your landlord about what steps you could take to put a fence on that property. And when she asks why that would be a good way to bring it up. Sometimes when people are very gentle and friendly and the way they approach things more listening on the other end it’s done and maybe the landlord Step in. I know it’s the Landlord’s boyfriend and you talk to him but what about the landlord her self

Back
Top Bottom