I need to get these chicks out of my house! Only one problem...

IvynaJS

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
One of them still has next to no body feathers at 10 weeks of age. She's a Columbian Wyandotte which my searches here tell me can be very slow to feather out.

Since it's winter I've been brooding them indoors instead of out in the garage. I had planned to transfer them out to the garage with a heat lamp as soon as they'd feathered out at around 6-8 weeks to start transitioning them to being outside full time. However, since the one is still kind of naked I was told it's safer to just keep her inside. But I can't have one chick alone so that means they ALL have to stay inside...

I've read it can be MONTHS before these guys feather out and it's starting to worry me! Is there anything I can do? Could she go out if I make her a little sweater? Does feeding extra protein really help? The mess is getting unbelievable, there's dust everywhere and it smells even if I change the bedding twice a week... Ugh :(

I dont' know if you can speed her up. However, if it were me I would probably keep her and a buddy or two indoors and transition the others. Then when she is less naked you can introduce the group to the other group and hopefully reduce the stress of introducing a single chick who would almost certainly be at the lowest rank.

Good luck!!

ETA.....
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Mm problem is there's only four... I always heard chickens should be in a group of at least three or there can be problems. Is that true?

I had 2 orps last year that were older then the rest of my chicks so they went to the garage together and then they all went to the coop at the same time and I didn't have any problems. I now only have 1 of the orps but she is still queen bee :) I never had any problems with just the 2 of them but I think it also depends on the breed and their temperment.

Do you have a picuture of the bald chick? I am just thinking with the feathering being so far behind, is it possible she is a he? Not trying to place doubt in your mind I am just curious.

Put them in the garage with the heat lamp. Sometimes the artificial warmth keeps them from feathering out as fast. I've noticed broody hen raised chicks feather out a lot faster than brooder raised chicks, and I think it's cause they spend so much time in cooler temps. Let her get a little cool---with the heat lamp to keep the warmest area around 60 degrees if your garage is really cool--and see if it jump starts her feathering. I've never read this breed takes exceptionally long to feather out.

Back
Top Bottom