I need to go on a feed run...

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
But they have baby chicks in! To top it off, husband has requested I go alone so that he can start our bathroom remodel. Seriously? Doesn't he know how weak I am around little peepers, and how empty my brooder is right now?

I TOLD him they have chicks. Is that some sort of weird passive aggressive yes on his part? LOL We've been together 11 years, he should know exactly what to expect from me. I'll come home with 5, and a by-the-way.... "Honey, I need another run added to the coop here in a couple weeks".

If I go with him, here's the shopping list...

3 bags layer crumbles
2 bales of shavings
1 gallon waterer for the "grown" chicks out there to get them off their chick waterer.
2 bags of dog food since the dogs are on hunger strike with a similar recipe to what I bought at Petsmart. For some reason my 100 pound beasts like the tiny bite kibbles over the large chunk Lamb & Rice. Who knew? They were eating the large chunk fine until the store ran out and I got the mini chunks. Now they want the mini stuff. Same ingredients!

Amended shopping list if I go alone....

1 light bulb, the light bulb for the heat lamp went out on the exact day I decided to put them outside. Great timing!
1 bag chick starter
5 pullet babies, different breeds, paying close attention to gender if I can on the breeds they have.

And if I buy chicks, I'll have to add a stop home to drop them off before doing the rest of my errands.

omg I went yesterday and had to pick up some feed and the little chickies were just a cheeping! but luckily they didn't have any breeds that I would want. but if they had a bantam bin we would have been in trouble. so I took out my cell and snapped a pic and sent it to my hubby....the text I got back was " uhhhh, oh no". I walked out with only feed, proud of myself, and without chickies. I will have to go back in, in a few days, and I noticed that the next shipment will come in on the 5th or 7th. I am so weak when it comes to the bantams. my TSC gets a better variety of them than they do the standards. good luck and stay strong!!

We needed dog food the other day and I refused to go because I know what it there - CHICKS! So what does my loving DH do? Takes 3 photos w/ his cell phone and texts me the pics of cute chicks. I don't know what he's trying to accomplish since we already have 16 chicks that are 3 weeks old in the basement and another 14 eggs in the incubator. Then he came home and listed off all the breeds that were there. He knows I want some RIR's and NH's and of course they had those in.... Nope, nope - I will stay away.

As far as I know, my feed store doesn't get chicks. I'd probably not get any anyway though, I've gotten pretty picky about the breeds I acquire. Luckily, I've changed feed stores since last year. The one I was using last year gave away 5 LF chicks with every 50# bag of Purina Chick Starter or Purina Flock Raiser....of course I got them then, if just to resell. They were free after all....
lau.gif

I went to my cheaper feed store after work last night to get horse feed and dog food. Luckily, they didn't have any CUTE SOFT CHIRPY chicks. I ask at the check out counter when they get them in. Next Wed, March 9th.

Drive by the other feed store back to the freeway and the billboard says ' CHICKS ARE IN'.

This morning while feeding, I realized I forgot the DE AND I will need chicken feed in a week. I'm thinking of taking a lunch break to go so I won't be tempted to go after work and bring home chicks. All I would need to buy is a heat lamp. I have the HUGE stock tank still in the sunroom from last fall!!!!

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I went to my cheaper feed store after work last night to get horse feed and dog food. Luckily, they didn't have any CUTE SOFT CHIRPY chicks. I ask at the check out counter when they get them in. Next Wed, March 9th.

Drive by the other feed store back to the freeway and the billboard says ' CHICKS ARE IN'.

This morning while feeding, I realized I forgot the DE AND I will need chicken feed in a week. I'm thinking of taking a lunch break to go so I won't be tempted to go after work and bring home chicks. All I would need to buy is a heat lamp. I have the HUGE stock tank still in the sunroom from last fall!!!!

Just make sure to get plenty and stick them under your desk...they'll keep each other warm til you get home
lau.gif

After reading this thread, I had to go and check on the feed bag... I had to. Well, whaddya know, it's almost empty! Wish me luck tomorrow when I go, that they don't have EEs. I would stop to admire the chicks anyway, but I am a sucker for EEs.

Must... Resist... Adorable fluffy cheeks...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom