I need to know about human health hazards

Brabz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
Hi. In the future I would enjoy getting chickens, but that is not why i am here. I wanted to come to the experts to ask a very important but possibly unasked question about chicken houses... Where I live on the Delmarva Peninsula, the chicken industry is huge with plants from Mountaire, Purdue and Allen's Chicken Plants. There are many long commercial chicken houses here and some are empty. We also have a good sized population of homeless people. Being that we are a farming community, There are not the resources to help people who have lost their homes or who have mental problems that have rendered them jobless and homeless. In the county where I live, there is only one documented homeless shelter. So, my big idea is that during this very cold weather we are having, I would love to be able to get the homeless into a shelter of sorts where they can warm up and sleep nights. We call them Code Purple centers. How about cleaning up and transforming a commercial chicken house into a Code Purple center??? I have searched the internet and no one else seems to have asked this question or attempted this before. I have heard of turning the commercial houses into auto repair shops and even a storage facility and "home gym" but not human habitation. Is this doable? If so, any information you can give me would be so helpful. I am thinking an open center with a wood stove or 2 for heat and a place for showers as well as a small kitchen for food prep. Can a chicken house become habitable and if so, what would one need to do? I would have very little problem getting church groups and several lumber companies, etc to come on board for clean up and renovation. Thank you for your time. I had asked the administration if i could post and they felt that I should take advantage of expert advice and opinion here.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you here with us
frow.gif

What you are asking is something that was accomplished after WWII on a large scale and many large chicken coops and I am talking about the industrial one's of 2000 sq ft or about 600 sq meters these homes are still lived in today but a lot of cleaning was accomplished first and everything was painted but it took place in a time of a shortage of homes and the housing codes were a lot less strict but it was dune all across the world .......

You might want to check the local law's and see what they will allow as every place is different ......

The next problems you will run into is water and septic issues and heating and lighting .... It has been many years now but long ago I was in the military during a time of many refugees and these were just some of the many issues we had to work with but were the most basic of human needs .. Water for showers and other cleaning, Electricity for lighting and maybe cooking or heating , Gas again for heating & cooling and then again cooking .. Then there is the issue of where is everyone going to sleep the floor or are you going to provide a cot or bed then again how are you going to get them to leave in the morning or is it going to be a giant flop house for them to stay for long periods of time because this turns into another problem .......

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry I have no suggestions for you especially after reading Ganders response. There are so many rules and codes and red tape involved in every thing today, I just don't know how this could be accomplished.

images

X3 on the codes. This is a wonderful gesture on your part to want to help out these unfortunately people. I would look into what is involved with clean up, permits and codes, and if it can be done, I would go for it! I am sure your generosity will not go unrewarded.
smile.png

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Thank you so much for your generous responses :) For the most part, HOW the facility would be run is taken care of. The man that would be setting that part up is a professional who has opened up many "half-way" homes and who goes into the tent communities and helps the people where they are.

Many people are homeless because they have mental issues that untreated and unmanaged render these people as the broken individuals that can't or won't get help. State won't help unless a person has an address. A person can't get an address unless they have the medications and cognitive help that will allow them to hold a job and pay for a place. Some people cannot be rehabilitated or helped, But others can. When you've been beaten down over and over it is hard for them to trust. So we have to earn that would small steps. A code purple center would get them out of the cold and then we can work from there.

I will contact someone about codes etc today or tomorrow. I forgot a long lost friend that actually works in building codes and enforcement and she has many connections to help with that kind of thing. I am grateful for your time,

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 with the codes/permits/insurance, transportation etc, and what is the ownership of the buildings?...who runs the shelter that is already in existence might they be able to help you with the idea?

Back
Top Bottom