I need your help

Quote:
I was wondering if it was that or if it was that a breed was listed and the thought was that it was not sufficiently rare, and should therefore not be on the list. Obviously vwery different things.

My "goal" is to see if there was any kind of majority of people who would like to see one particular breed removed from that list first. I am putting together a "plan" to remove these breeds from the list. Mind you, this is a school project, and for the time being, it will be as if there are no limits to my space or funding. If you have any further questions, please PM me.

Quote:
OH, ok, now tell me if I have this correct ... you are asking ....
What breed would I like to remove from the list BECAUSE they are more plentiful, and thus do not qualify to be on the list????

IF that is the question ...
My answer would be the Heritage Delaware. This is a wonderful dual purpose bird, great forager, as well has a nice temperment. I hope to increase the population of this great bird, and encourage all to consider them. To do this, I will sell eggs and chicks at very reasonable prices! I find it disheartening when prices are extremely high for endangered birds, and think that is why some do not buy them.

I agree with Kathyinmo amd also would say the Dominique.

They are great layers, friendly, bear confinement well and are good foragers.

Ok, I will try to be as clear as mud...LOL. My question is which breed you personally would like to see "saved". If you had your option to own any of the birds on the list, which would it be? And if possible, a reason (previous experience, research you have done, friend has them, anything). Thank all for your input up to this point, at first, I really didn't see this going anywhere.

Quote:
I know there are breeds of turkeys that are in need of help as well, but at this time I am just focused on chickens, so I haven't paid any attention to what their site says about them.

Quote:
Thank you! That is much clearer. It might help get responses if you actually listed the breeds that are on hte lists rather than simply referring to the lists with a link.
smile.png

As requested, here is a list of the breeds that are on the critical list. This list is taken from the American Livestock Breed Conservancy's website [http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens]HERE.[/url]

Critical:
Andalusian
Aseel (Asil)
Buckeye
Buttercup
Campine
Catalana
Chantecler
Crevecoeur
Delaware
Faverolle
Holland
Houdan
La Fleche
Malay
Nankin
Redcap
Russian Orloff
Spanish
Sumatra

Threatened:
Ancona
Cubalaya
Dorking
Java
Lakenvelder
Langshan
Sussex

Watch:
Brahma
Cochin
Cornish (non-industrial)
Dominique
Hamburg
Jersey Giant
Minorca
New Hampshire
Polish
Rhode Island White
Sebright

Recovering:
Australorp
Leghorn (non-industrial)
Orpington
Plymouth Rock (non-industrial)
Rhode Island Red (non-industrial)
Wyandotte

Study:
Araucana
Egyptian Fayoumis
Iowa Blue
Lamona
Manx Rumpy (aka Persian Rumpless)
Modern Game
Naked Neck (aka Turken)
Old English Game
Phoenix
Shamo
Sultan
Yokohama

These are the breeds on this list taken from their sight, and do not represent my opinions. There are several breeds that I dont feel are in straights anywhere close to some of the others that are on this list. Just my two cents, sorry, no refunds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Threatened:
Ancona
Cubalaya
Dorking
Java
Lakenvelder
Langshan
Sussex
I see speckled sussex frequently at shows

Watch:
Brahma
Cochin
Cornish (non-industrial)
Dominique
Hamburg
Jersey Giant
Minorca
New Hampshire
Polish
Rhode Island White
Sebright
except for Rhode Island White there are always lots of these at the shows.

Recovering:
Australorp
Leghorn (non-industrial)
Orpington
Plymouth Rock (non-industrial)
Rhode Island Red (non-industrial)
Wyandotte
and there are tons of these

Study:
Araucana
Egyptian Fayoumis
Iowa Blue
Lamona
Manx Rumpy (aka Persian Rumpless)
Modern Game
Naked Neck (aka Turken)
Old English Game
Phoenix
Shamo
Sultan
Yokohama
not many araucana, tons of modern and old english games (unless you mean large fowl), phoenix and shamo are common, dont see many of the others.

Now I will say that what one person sees at shows may not reflect what people in a different part of the country see--it depends on who breeds what, where they live, and which shows they attend. I'm ignoring hatchery birds, although you sometimes find them at shows (particularly fairs), too.

These are the breeds on this list taken from their sight, and do not represent my opinions. There are several breeds that I dont feel are in straights anywhere close to some of the others that are on this list. Just my two cents, sorry, no refunds.​

I threw in my 2 cents, too
smile.png

My choice would be Campines. I have eight and hope to focus next year and producing a lot more chicks.
Side note. I would think that since Andalusians are used in a lot of outcrossing programs that they wouldn't be as threatened.

p.s. Dustin, Were you at the Shawnee Show Saturday?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom