I need your help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dustin Biery, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Guys, I am trying to finish up my bachelors degree. In order to complete this task, I have to compile a capstone project. For this project I will be focusing on the Society for Preservation of Poultry Antiquities (SPPA) and the American Livestock Breed Conservancy's list of breeds that are in a critical state. Please take a look at both of the following links and give me your thoughts as to which breed you would want to see removed from that list first and why. Any and all information that is shared here will be used as cited reseach for my project. Thank you for your help. If anyone has any questions or needs further explaination, please dont hesitate to PM or email me.

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/SPPA/SPPA.html

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Are favorelles still critical? They seem to be gaining popularity because of their sweet temperments and cute fluffy beards.

Good luck with your project!

3. Dustin Biery

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Yes, HappyMtn, they are still on the critical list. I am certainly glad to see they are making a come-back though.

4. Dustin Biery

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Guess this thread isn't going to get much attention, I will find input somehow. Thanks HappyMtn.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I don't understand the question ....
    Which breed I want to see removed from the list ?????
    Why? ????

6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Andalusians.

They are awsome chickens! So beautiful and with the quirkiest personalities. Mine were so inquisitive, outgoing, and friendly with people. They were also excellent egglayers, although the eggs were smallish and white. I think that works against them. But for entertainment value, they can't be beat!

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Houdan

I just love mine. Unlike the Polish, my houdan seem to be great layers. They are calm, though not friendly but not aggressive in any way. I would love to see more people working with the breed to bring it back to the size and standard that they should be.

8. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    i dont really understand either, the only reason a breed should be removed from that list is if it has made a comeback and no longer has low enough #s to be considered endangered.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    SPPA has Beltsville and Midget White as one breed, and they say Sweetgrass was devleoped in the last century, but there is artwork showing them as early as the 1500's.
    I quit reading after that.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Yes, so I think the question is which breed do you think is no longer endangered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by