I never knew exactly...

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
I never knew exactly how much I would miss my chickens till they were gone. I miss their squawks when I come outside in the morning, their screams of joy when the food comes. I miss watching my son's excitement whenever he finds a worm and gives it to them. I miss watching the chickens roll and fluff in the dirt or when they chase down a grasshopper running for its life through the yard. I miss bug control altogether. I really miss the surprise of how many eggs I will be getting each day, it almost like having a birthday ever day.

I sold my flock last month. I'm planning on getting a different single breed next year so that I can breed my own replacements but before then I've got some repairs and alterations to do to the coop. Money is tight so I couldn't afford to feed and afford all the stuff I need to do the repairs at the same time. So now every time I go outside I have to remind myself that there will be more next year. Even my 3-year-old son told me I needed to get my chickens and ducks again. So I guess along with the chickens, I will have to work on getting another duck pen built, especially since my hubby said he misses the ducks too.

Ah but next year if things go right, I will have 5 Blue Orpingtons and 2 silkies, and I guess 2 Khaki Campbell ducks as well.

I'm sorry
hugs.gif
Best wishes with your new chicken farm! You'll have your new flock before you know it.

How sad. I am sorry you lost your flock. Also, watch out; I was just gonna get five chickens of a particular breed, but instead, we ended up with twenty-five of all different breeds! Chickens: it is really impossible for me to just say no to chicks!
idunno.gif

How sad. I am sorry you lost your flock. Also, watch out; I was just gonna get five chickens of a particular breed, but instead, we ended up with twenty-five of all different breeds! Chickens: it is really impossible for me to just say no to chicks!
idunno.gif

Been there and done that, I've had Orpington, Aussies, leghorns, Marans, Production Reds, Jersey Giant, Wynadotte and Black Star. I've fallen in love with the Orpington and so they will be my new flock. I'm getting a couple of Silkies as surrogate mom's in case I don't get a broody out of the Orps. that and they will be my son's learning chickens and possible show Silkies.
Spring can't come soon enough for me.

Been there and done that, I've had Orpington, Aussies, leghorns, Marans, Production Reds, Jersey Giant, Wynadotte and Black Star. I've fallen in love with the Orpington and so they will be my new flock. I'm getting a couple of Silkies as surrogate mom's in case I don't get a broody out of the Orps. that and they will be my son's learning chickens and possible show Silkies.
Spring can't come soon enough for me.
Oh, yeah, so true!

Back
Top Bottom