I REALIZE THIS IS A POULTRY SITE BUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Actually there has NEVER been a substantiated case of a wolf attacking a human. They are mortally afraid of us from millenia of attacks by us against them. They instinctivley know to stay away from us if they want to live. Minnesota is one of the few places in the US to have a large population of wolves. The DNR makes a big effort to educate the public about wolves. There is a lot of hysteria and misinformation out there about wolves. A lot of this attitude comes from childhood stories passed down for hundreds of years about the BIG BAD WOLF. I have lived in Minnesota 61 years and in all that time + there has never been a wolf attack on a human.

Quote:
My chickens take precedence over any critter that wanders into my yard. They are not domesticated dinner, they are my pets and i care about them as much as i do my indoor cats. i am not a mindless killer for protecting my pets. i have a right to protect what is mine (legally and emotionally) if it is threatened with torture or death.

i have no intention of trying to change the behavior of any wild animal, or dog, or whatever that may have been that way for a million years. But i will protect my pets, with whatever means necessary, from any creature that threatens their life.

Come on now, what kind of response were you expecting here suggesting chicken owners just go "Oh well" when an animal comes upon their property to kill their pets (or livestock, or property)?
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I know that it does not matter what I say to try to dissuade you from how you believe about this situation, and it does not matter what you say to me. I don't think the dogs should be punished in this situation (except for a nice firm reprimand and the 'dog house'), but that the OWNER should get an official statement from the judge that if the dogs get loose again and cause any more property damage like this, that they will be put down or rehomed (preferable rehomed). That way it's a court order. Now, chickens ARE considered livestock, and dogs are pets, so I don't know if a dog would be put down for killing chickens. But I know it's something I would bring up, cause I don't believe in punishing the dog for something the owner screwed up with. Now, in a situation where a dog snaps on a person I think the dog should be put down, but even then, if the dog is guarding and snaps on a stranger that's not necessarily a bad instinct. Dogs are loyal and will protect their properties/families with their lives.

Last edited:
Dogs are not wild animals looking for a meal. They are domesticated creatures who, sadly, must depend on their owners, stupid and irresponsible as they sometimes are, for their survival. A dog on its own property under the control of its owner is a pet. A dog on my property killing my chickens is a predator. Just as I wont allow a raccoon to kill my birds if I can help it, so it is with the dog. If the owner has allowed the dog to put itself in danger, it is entirely the owner's fault when I suddenly put the dog out of MY misery, or rather, my chickens' misery. It's too bad the poor dog has to pay for the stupidity of its owner, but that's the way it is.
I have spent hundreds of dollars fencing in my own dogs, over the last 20+ years I've had them as an adult, to keep them out of trouble, to keep them safe and others safe from them. And if a dog was attacking my dog on my property, he'd be spontaneously euthanized, just the same as if it was a chicken he was attacking or God forbid, a child. In addition, I cannot afford the financial loss of my birds nor the time to deal with trying to drag someone into court over it; animal control here is useless, therefore, it's up to me to protect my investment and the pets/livestock in my care. There's no such thing as "just a chicken" here.

I wonder if all the charges were dropped if this would ever happen again with these particular dogs.

I believe it was the second time it's happened.

Of course it would happen again.

You can train dogs......but you can't rehabilitate irresponsible pet owners.

Sad but true.

Quote:
Right!..it WILL just happen again!...
he.gif
..these owners need to be hit where it hurts..somehow...

Quote:
he.gif

Either that or put the owner down and not the dog?

Quote:
he.gif

Either that or put the owner down and not the dog?

that would be THE PERFECT ANSWER!...
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
...OR put THEM in a small room with rabid,vicious, man-eating dogs and let THEM see how it is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom