I really hurt myself this time!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by nikki1, May 30, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Songster

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    I'm here to report the world's stupidest at-work injury. Yesterday I completely blew out my knee, went to the emergency room to stabilize it, and will probably require surgery this summer. No, I'm not a running back for the NFL, I'm not a firefighter, I'm not an Olympic gymnast, I'm a...wait for it...TEACHER. Yep, 5th grade math did me in. I was sitting on my stool at the front of the class, innocently extolling the virtues of 3-dimensional figures, I went to stand up and SNAP! My knee apparently exploded.

X-rays showed no broken bones, so the ER doctor said it was some wild soft tissue damage. He couldn't determine exactly which tendons/ligaments were involved, though, because the whole thing was too tender for him to do a proper exam on it. (He said it was "internally deranged." I find that diagnosis kind of funny!) He splinted it up and sent me home with crutches, anti-inflammatories, and pain meds, with instructions to see my own doctor in the next couple days for a more thorough exam. That appointment is tomorrow, and I can't imagine the doctor telling me it's just fine, as I can't put any weight on that leg or even straighten it more than 45 degrees.

Today I crutched out onto the porch and my husband brought me chickens and mealworms. That's true love.

Think of my and my poor battered knee...

--Nikki

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

You had this happen at work?

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Songster

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Wow. Sounds like it hurt. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ouch!! Hope you feel better soon.. :fl

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Hope you feel better soon! Did you file a Workers Compensation claim?

6. OMG I hope you heal fast! hugs

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Crowing

Aug 30, 2009
    Mt Repose, OH
    My Coop
    Oh wow! Hope you only need healing time and not surgery!

True love with the porch chickens brought by the husband, for sure.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

9. duckinnut

duckinnut Songster

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I was going to give you the name of my knee doctor,Dr. Summeroff. But see you already have it covered [​IMG]. Hope you can avoid surgery by just going to physical therapy. Either way good luck, however just to let you know that no matter whether its PT or surgery/PT the knee is seldom the same. I have had a balky knee for almost 20 years after pt and surgery/pt.

10. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Songster

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    I feel for ya!

I did about the same thing with my ankle last year. It involved the Achilles-tendon, ankle cap, the ligaments under the ankle cap, and the Plantar sinews.

Luckily an orthopedist gave me options. Either surgery and 4 months of healing and therapy, or a soft-cast & brace for as long as it takes......... Being over 50, I tried without surgery and it took 10 months to heal.

Will say a prayer for ya...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: