I saw my ducks eating a cane toad

Dec 6, 2019
Philippines
As far as I know cane toads are poisonous but yeah yesterday I caught my ducks eating a live cane toad like a hoard of zombies. The ducks are still alive and healthy but I was so scared when they are able to tear apart and devour an amphibian known to be poisonous. It is a large cane toad and 1 drake and 3 girls ate poor Kermit until nothing is left. #traumatized.

Usually when it is rainy season, I use to hear mating calls from cane toads but not anymore. Now I know. My ducks obliterated the cane toad population.

Thankfully we don't have cane toads here, but first time I saw one of my birds eat a frog was disgusting. And the whole flock was chasing her down trying to take it from her. Our toads excrete a nasty something though because our birds stay away from them. Once one of my Dachshunds thought she'd get hold of a toad and she had foam coming out of her mouth. she never messed with one again. I did witness one of my Muscovy females catch an eat a copper head snake. She lived. lol

We USED TO have a beautiful koi pond in our yard. Plants, fish, bullfrogs...full of life! Then the ducks came along...and they were enjoying this beautiful pond 🥰 started seeing less and less aquatic life...finally caught Tom the drake munching on a 4yr old koi 😭😭

After the ducks had eaten all the life out of the pond, we just took it out. They had also blown up 2 pumps with their mess! Unfortunately before I realized a decorative pond with waterfowl was not feasible, we had already excavated a giant hole in our yard...which is getting filled in this Spring, baby pools will just have to do!!

As far as I know cane toads are poisonous but yeah yesterday I caught my ducks eating a live cane toad like a hoard of zombies. The ducks are still alive and healthy but I was so scared when they are able to tear apart and devour an amphibian known to be poisonous. It is a large cane toad and 1 drake and 3 girls ate poor Kermit until nothing is left. #traumatized.

Usually when it is rainy season, I use to hear mating calls from cane toads but not anymore. Now I know. My ducks obliterated the cane toad population.
I just googled “cane toads” those suckers are huge. You’re sweet little ducks ate one on those?

Back
Top Bottom