I snuck babies under the broody hen last night...

HannahinOly

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
Olympia, WA
And I went out this morning and found a SECOND chicken in the nest with her. I pick up this other chicken and under it is one of the chicks. I had put a board up along the box last night but i guess she got in anyway. I removed her and she is FREAKING out. Should I just let her in and see if they want to raise these babies together? I'm moving them to a smaller coop today, but its for sure big enough for 5 hens.

I feel terrible. I dont want her to endanger the babies but I can literally hear her freaking out in the yard.

If they both want to raise the chicks, then the more dominant one will chase the other away eventually.

Last edited:
I know this is stupid, but I really want my original broody hen to raise these babes. This is the second time shes gone broody but the first time I've given her some chicks.

I guess I will just lock the other chicken out for a bit and see if she moves on.

My hen would not accept her babies until I let her out and then I put one of the chicks on the ground near her and when she heard it chirping she chased all the other chickens away and ran to take care of it, she eventually adopted 15 more that another broody would not keep.

That’s probably a wise move. Sometimes two broodies can work well together in raising chicks, but sometimes they fight over the chicks. The chicks can get injured or killed in these fights.

That second broody will get over it, probably in two or three days. It might help if she is where she cannot see those chicks. Right now her hormones are going crazy and she will be upset. You can’t let that control what you do, you have to think of those chicks and their safety. I really think you chose well.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I have them closed off in an externall nesting box now but am moving them to a little coop this afternoon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom