I start my first job on Monday, and....

Just so you know.

I am a mean mom too. My boys all had to get a job to have spending money, I did not buy, insure, fill the tank or repair their cars. I did front them the money for good shoes and 2 pairs of work pants. They had to pay it back out of their paychecks. They all got a job when they turned 16.

I am a single parent, money only went so far and since mine are all over 18 and the last one graduates HS in a couple of weeks. They have to pitch in and cover their costs. Food is not free, gas is not free, and my time is valuable to me. Yes it does seem mean when you are 18.

But these are the life lessons that many kids are not taught and end up expecting that the rest of the world owes them.

My oldest has a good job, is still taking college classes, has a wonderful fiancée, has purchased 2 brand new cars since he was 18 and it on track to be the youngest manager at his company. Life lessons can be hard, but they also pay off.

Well I understand all that, I wasn't implying she was being mean by not giving me rides or anything. Please don't think that, I was just saying that the name calling was a bit much. She really tore down my feelings over it. Making your child be responsible doesn't make you a mean mom. I respect my mother very much and I don't expect her to hand me anything, but when your own mother starts calling you names it really stings.

I graduated high school early, and used my college refund money to buy my jeep. I don't like to depend on others for my needs, but I did think she would help me to at least get some shoes.

Quote:
If you have to get those "Shoes for Crews" food service shoes, get the Croc style ones if you are allowed to wear them --- they're only about $15 at WalMart and seem to hold up well. That's only 2 hours of minimum wage, maybe 3 to account for taxes, so by your first payday you should be able to afford a pair new. The problem might be finding a ride to the store.
I get all of my pants second hand. Hopefully you can find some!

Back
Top Bottom