I swear now they are just messing with my head for fun!

Yeah, I kind of like the speckles. They were helping me figure out who was laying what. Then I discovered that sometimes a hen's eggs would have speckles and sometimes it wouldn't. And it seems that sometimes the speckles change from dark to white and vice versa. Sigh...

I have 6 EEs and it seems that I've had about 30 variations of blue/green eggs varying in size and shape. I've had some double-pointy-ended eggs and some as round as a golf ball and few double-yolkers.

I thought about trap nests, but I could see me forgetting to let the girls out and them deciding not to use nest boxes anymore!
tongue.gif

In contrast, all the Silkies lay identical eggs, no variations at all.
hu.gif

I gave up!

So far ALL my banties lay exactly identical eggs. Which would be why I have no idea really what is about to hatch out this Saturday. I THINK it's all pure mille fleurs, but there is a chance that I got a mille fleur x blue silkie mix in there. It sure would be easier if they came out labeled.
roll.png

The banty coop has both silkies, the mille fleur hen, the sebright, and the mille fleur roo. That coop needed more hens to balance things out between roos. I added in Pooh and Mattie the EEs. They were getting picked on by the other big girls AND I switched to two coops about the same time that Pooh was recovering from her run-in with the dogs. I put Maude the polish in there for the same reason. She was getting picked on. Soooo... the banty coop has three standard girls in it. It's only called the banty coop to differentiate it from the big girl coop.
smile.png

The EEs are the only ones you can guarantee unless you see them laid. My SLW lays a large dark brown egg and the BO's egg is pinkish brown but sometimes they have specks on them and others not. LOL

And when you throw in a NHR, BAs, Golden Buffs, Cochins, Rocks and a host of others...I stay confused as to who lays what except the EEs.

See the deal is that when they mess with the egg color it ignites that faint glimmer of hope that somebody new has decided to lay. Theoretically with two pale pinkish brown eggs and one darker brown egg I could have both of the buffs laying. I saw the GLW go in and hunker in her nest this morning. I would guess that she laid something today for sure, could be the darker brown. The buffs are the same age and theoretically should both be laying. That coop has an EE, a buff and two wyandottes laying. Conversely, there's another EE, a buff and two welsummers that are egg free.
he.gif
They are seriously just trying to mess up my lovely egg laying spreadsheet.

I think I finally figured out the difference between my Silkies and d'Uccles: My Silkies lay a light cream colored egg with a faint shiny sheen on it. The d'Uccles' eggs are a shade darker with a matte finish.

I got 10 eggs today!
wee.gif
That's a personal record for me!

Ahhhh, there is a difference in sheen on these. I'll start paying attention. I'll also try to see what's under FiFi. Won't that be interesting?

10 eggs is awesome! I was pretty pumped to get 5...

Back
Top Bottom