I swear this is fertile

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
Does this egg look fertile? I swear it is. The only rooster I have is a bantam ameraucana… golly that must have been tough for him breeding with. Leghorn lol

Attachments

• B043E9F2-DB6D-4C08-930E-BE1AC8D8D1A0.jpeg
    B043E9F2-DB6D-4C08-930E-BE1AC8D8D1A0.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 93
The only rooster I have is a bantam ameraucana… golly that must have been tough for him breeding with. Leghorn lol
Some bantam roosters definitely do manage to mate with full-sized hens. If you incubate eggs and they develop chicks and hatch, then you know they were fertile.

Does this egg look fertile? I swear it is.
I know some people say they can tell by looking at eggs, but I can't, so unfortunately I can't help there.

(I understand the idea involved, and I often think I can see the difference, but I am wrong way too often. I have checked by cracking an egg to look, then incubating an egg laid by the same hen the day before or the day after-- repeating this on multiple occasions proved to me that I cannot tell by looking.)

Some bantam roosters definitely do manage to mate with full-sized hens. If you incubate eggs and they develop chicks and hatch, then you know they were fertile.

I know some people say they can tell by looking at eggs, but I can't, so unfortunately I can't help there.

(I understand the idea involved, and I often think I can see the difference, but I am wrong way too often. I have checked by cracking an egg to look, then incubating an egg laid by the same hen the day before or the day after-- repeating this on multiple occasions proved to me that I cannot tell by looking.)
I agree. The bullseye thing is not reliable because a lot of my chicken eggs look like they have bulleyes. I have never had a rooster.

My eyes aren't that great and I sometimes can't tell when the eggs are in front of me but I would tend to agree with you. Open another and perhaps it will be clearer.
What causes the halo effect is that upon fertilization in the infundibulum is that for the next 22 + hours while the future egg is making its way through the isthmus, magnum and uterus, the body temperature of the hen causes cell division in the resulting blastoderm. The cells at the center, (what was the blastodisc) begin to die off creating the halo.

Back
Top Bottom