I think Brady is a roo, but he is missing half his waddle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldfinches, Jun 22, 2011.

1. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I have 3 BR's. They're 10 weeks old. One is supposed to be a roo, and I think it's Brady. He is the only one with a large red comb, the other two still have very small, light ones. He is very aggressive with treats and very nosy. but, I just noticed today that he only has half a wattle. I wondered if it had gotten ripped off, but it doesn't look inflamed or bloody. I looked at pictures I've taken over the past few weeks and it looks like I've just been unobservant and that he's only grown the one side all along. Is this unusual? Is it possible he will grow the other one as he matures? I googled and learned hens prefer roosters with full wattles, I don't want him to have trouble with the girls [​IMG]

(sorry my pics are blurry, he moves fast!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    definately a roo. he is probably lighter than the other two and he has clean yellow legs.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Weird thing with that wattle not developing,but he looks like a roo to me...

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    He's a roo [​IMG]

The half-wattle could be the result of a number of things. It could be a genetic defect, or malformation while growing in egg (less likely because those tend to be on a larger scale), or it could even be that the cells on his face were injured at one point, and are no longer capable of generating a wattle.

I think he's cute and it gives him personality [​IMG]

5. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I am a lady and I love him!

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I had a BSL cockerel that was of course mixed breed. Daddy was white Leghorn, mama was Cuckoo Marans. Well he popped out with one HUGE white earlobe (like his daddy's) and one small red one (like his mama). Chicken genetics can be funky sometimes!

8. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    That's definitely a rooster. That comb and his wattle are both quite large and red.

Quote:Wow! What a sight that must have been!

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Wow! What a sight that must have been!

I kept trying to get a good picture, and in all the pix he only shows off the big white one!

You can kinda see it in this one, red on one side, white on the other:
    [​IMG]

here's the white side:
    [​IMG]

10. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks, guys. I feel awful that it has taken me so long to notice he was a little lopsided. I'm glad he will be okay.

I adore him. He's my only rooster, and I'm trying to get over my fear of them. (I had bad experiences twice when I was a little girl with them.)

He is quite a character, he's a funny, active, nosey guy. I bet his little facial quirk will make him even more desireable to his ladies. [​IMG]

Tala, what a cool guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by