I think Brady is a roo, but he is missing half his waddle?

goldfinches

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2011
Maryland
I have 3 BR's. They're 10 weeks old. One is supposed to be a roo, and I think it's Brady. He is the only one with a large red comb, the other two still have very small, light ones. He is very aggressive with treats and very nosy. but, I just noticed today that he only has half a wattle. I wondered if it had gotten ripped off, but it doesn't look inflamed or bloody. I looked at pictures I've taken over the past few weeks and it looks like I've just been unobservant and that he's only grown the one side all along. Is this unusual? Is it possible he will grow the other one as he matures? I googled and learned hens prefer roosters with full wattles, I don't want him to have trouble with the girls
sad.png

(sorry my pics are blurry, he moves fast!)

90542_brady_1.jpg

90542_brady_2.jpg

He's a roo
smile.png

The half-wattle could be the result of a number of things. It could be a genetic defect, or malformation while growing in egg (less likely because those tend to be on a larger scale), or it could even be that the cells on his face were injured at one point, and are no longer capable of generating a wattle.

I think he's cute and it gives him personality
smile.png

I had a BSL cockerel that was of course mixed breed. Daddy was white Leghorn, mama was Cuckoo Marans. Well he popped out with one HUGE white earlobe (like his daddy's) and one small red one (like his mama). Chicken genetics can be funky sometimes!

Quote:
Wow! What a sight that must have been!

I kept trying to get a good picture, and in all the pix he only shows off the big white one!

You can kinda see it in this one, red on one side, white on the other:
IMG00937-20110409-1334.jpg

here's the white side:
HUNT0644.JPG

Thanks, guys. I feel awful that it has taken me so long to notice he was a little lopsided. I'm glad he will be okay.

I adore him. He's my only rooster, and I'm trying to get over my fear of them. (I had bad experiences twice when I was a little girl with them.)

He is quite a character, he's a funny, active, nosey guy. I bet his little facial quirk will make him even more desireable to his ladies.
wink.png

Tala, what a cool guy!

Back
Top Bottom