I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

Thanks, we have packaged it one pound jars and are changing the label to reflect it's use for poultry and other animals.

Jim Rea

Forco Colorado

I think I'm going to try some Forco with my flock. I have one hen that loves to pick feathers out of the lower backs and butt area when the other hens are dust bathing...that's the only time I see her do it. What's worse is the hens being picked at, just lay there and let her do it...why they do that, I don't know.

I have been supplementing their diet of Purina Layer Crumbles with some dry cat food which is high in protein and it has helped some but not completely stopped the problem.

I have had groups of hens that do not pick at each other at all but this last 2 groups, I've had a couple of pickers in the bunch. I notice is usually the golden sex links are the guilty parties.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress. Wish me luck
big_smile.png

Looking at Forco's website, this product looks to be a probiotic. Avians need a specific type of probiotic, giving a horse probiotic to avians is not a good idea. This horse stuff may be doing internal damage to birds. Forco's website also says "There are no supplemental vitamins, minerals or proteins". In nature chickens never eat tuna, why would you give it to them. The chickens may have had issues trying to digest the protein from fish. Feather plucking is a protein deficiency, there is protein in feathers, that is why chickens eat them. Try something more suited for avains, like game bird feed, it is 24% protein instead of layer feed that is 14-16% protein. Or mealworms, around 50% protein.
If it works, what's the harm? Better than having a bunch of naked chickens running around. In nature, if a chicken can find a tuna, or any fish, it will eat it. People forget that their delicate lttle coop chickens are in fact scavengers. There is little that they can't/won't eat. The OP fed tuna as a protein supplement. It is not unheard of to give fish meal to chickens as a protein supplement. BTW, I have fed a nice high protein balanced feed to my layers for years and on occasion still had trouble with feather picking. So next time I will try Forco. Considering all the stuff chickens will eat if given the opportunity, I cannot imagine anything in a horse feed that could possibly harm their delicate digestion.

I just ordered some FORCO. Looks like a great supplement to their diet. I hope it works
fl.gif
You can see the product details at forcocolorado.com. It's worth a try. I will post results once I give it to my girls.

I really am anxious to hear about others' results after trying Forco for feather-picking. So far, no one else has checked back in with any reports.

Meanwhile, I would like to report on something interesting that took place yesterday as I was observing my flock.

The majority of the fifteen chickens in my flock were kicking back, hanging around in social pods, preening themselves and one another. I happened to notice Flo, the veteran feather-picker, sidle up to her former brooder-mate, BFF, and main feather-picking victim Joycie. Flo turned and focused her gaze on the feathers on Joycie's neck. She made a few preliminary stabs with her beak, (NOT the same as preening) with Joycie reacting with her usual cry of feigned outrage, "Gleek!"

It sure appeared that Flo was warming up to extract a feather or two. Next time she went for Joycie's neck, I uttered a sharp, loud, "Flo!" The entire flock, including Flo, stopped and froze, all were completely silent. They soon returned to normal, and Flo again focused her gaze on Joycie's neck. As soon as she hauled her head back to take another stab at Joycie's neck, I hollered "Flo!" She stopped and froze, as did the others.

Flo, tried twice more, and I shouted "Flo!" each time, and Flo stopped. After the last attempt, she turned and walked away from Joycie, apparently losing the spark that had rekindled her feather fixation.

I observed again today for a period, and Flo showed no interest at all in Joycie, instead deciding to jump up into my lap, as I sat on the chair inside the pen, to spend some "quality" time together.

You know what? I think I have decided on a course of action here. I can't really afford this Forco stuff so I've done a little bit of research. To feed beneficial bacteria you have to supply pectin and cellulose. I found that sour apples, such as Granny Smith, have a lot of pectin in the apple skins and so do carrots. Cellulose is basically roughage. I ferment my bird's feed so that gives them a jump start. I feed yogurt. Whoever it was that said probiotics cannot survive the acidity of the stomach, I don't believe. My birds LOVE yogurt and its good for them too. When people say that chickens cannot digest milk, I don't think they realize what they are saying... pasteurized milk - no, they cannot. Raw milk - yes they can. Yogurt is in the class of raw milk, it hasn't had the live bacteria cooked out of it.

I also feed some sprouted grains and some grains grown to fodder stage. I live in the desert and there is no pasture here. There aren't many bugs either, except mosquitoes, surprisingly. I'm just beginning to raise mealworms for my girls and I'll probably be raising dubia roaches and I'll be getting some mosquito fish next spring to put in a big stock tank with plants and duckweed growing on top.

I will begin adding grated granny smith apples and carrots to their feed. I also am trying to locate some Dolomite as suggested by Olchook (?) to see about sprinkling some on their feed. Hopefully all of this together will take care of the feather picking. I've also started hanging something in their coop for them to jump up for... keeping them busy. I trim beaks too, only back to the quick, I do not de-beak, so please, nobody panic. I have some chicken bits that I used a couple years ago and it helped a lot. I may have to return to that practice.

I will try to remember to post my success and/or failure so you guys will know.

It's sure a fine idea to have an alternative to try. Do report back.

You're completely right about chickens benefiting from amusing distractions. Instead of simply tossing their scratch feed and BOSS ration on the ground every afternoon for them to gobble up in just minutes, I put the seeds into empty Gator Aid bottles, drilled with 1/4 inch holes. They are all captivated by the challenge of rolling the bottles around with their beaks and feet to get the grain to spill out.

When apples aren't too expensive at the store, I twist them onto eye screws and hang them in the run. It gives "bobbing for apples" a new definition. I do the same with jumbo carrots and, of course, cabbage. Try purple cabbage for entertaining neon-pink droppings! I always keep a flock block for them to pick at, too.

For those who have not given raising meal worms any consideration, they're almost as much fun as raising chickens!

By the way, meet Flo, in the bright blue peepers, which she no longer is wearing. At least for now, as long as she's being a good girl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom