I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

On a lighter note: 2 of my hens have doodie butts, bet no one picks those….
lau.gif

Last year one had the same and I planned to wait til warm weather to bathe her…could not do the pull it off with feathers thing. But by spring she had finally cleaned it with her baths.
OMG, I have just witnessed a poop picker…so won't have to bath that one.
gig.gif

The former serial feather picker, otherwise known as Flo, has laid her second egg of the new season. No other hens in the flock are laying yet. Flo is the star egg layer. I told her she's my favorite.

Last season, Flo laid just one egg, probably because she was a nervous wreck from getting picked on so relentlessly. She is very relaxed these days because she is now sleeping in a crate in the garage and no longer needs to compete for a sleeping spot.

During the day, she gets her own run inside the regular run with a large crate with a plastic tub of wood shavings in it for her to nest in and lay her eggs. She doesn't need to run a gauntlet any longer for anything. At sundown, she's ready and waiting for me to come pick her up and carry her into her crate in the garage.

Flo has a problem with arthritis or something, and it appears to be aggravated by severe weather, causing her pain so she can barely stand. This is why the rest of the flock is so mean to her. But these days, Flo has it made, in spite of her disability.

Life is good. And she is showing her gratitude by laying eggs.

I am having a problem that may be related to feather picking. My poor rooster is a true gentleman, and the girls act like they are grooming him, but they peck his giant red comb until it oozes blood. I brought him in to the basement where there is a giant dog crate where he has lived before. In this safe place he healed up and I put him back with the flock. Within 24 hours they had him just as bad as before. They also pluck his butt and Mama's. Not to the point of bleeding on the butts. I feel like they remember who they do what to and go right back at it even after weeks of separation. Anyone have any tips to avoid the comb damage? Blucote doesn't deter them. Total healing doesn't stop them either.

The former serial feather picker, otherwise known as Flo, has laid her second egg of the new season. No other hens in the flock are laying yet. Flo is the star egg layer. I told her she's my favorite.

Last season, Flo laid just one egg, probably because she was a nervous wreck from getting picked on so relentlessly. She is very relaxed these days because she is now sleeping in a crate in the garage and no longer needs to compete for a sleeping spot.

During the day, she gets her own run inside the regular run with a large crate with a plastic tub of wood shavings in it for her to nest in and lay her eggs. She doesn't need to run a gauntlet any longer for anything. At sundown, she's ready and waiting for me to come pick her up and carry her into her crate in the garage.

Flo has a problem with arthritis or something, and it appears to be aggravated by severe weather, causing her pain so she can barely stand. This is why the rest of the flock is so mean to her. But these days, Flo has it made, in spite of her disability.

Life is good. And she is showing her gratitude by laying eggs.
So glad Flo is living the good life! She reminds me of my feather picker cluck-cluck, sweet girl with a bad habit. Fi started picking, but only after one was molting. temptation too much.

I have peepers on two still Fi and Cluck-cluck. I'm hoping to increase the run size this summer and then with free ranging hopefully it will settle down more in there.

There was a coup in the coop a couple weeks ago. My third hen Morticia moved up to second in command one day while I was at work. She took over Fi's spot and put Fi in her place. I feel that maybe as Fi is wearing peepers that I kind of allowed this to happen. However, things seem much more calm with Morticia at the helm. I think the second in command keeps order. Cluck-Cluck (#1) really doesn't enforce anything, but she does go where ever she wants and everyone gets out of her way. I wonder if Morticia will advance to number one? We'll see. Morticia does not feather pick, she is food aggressive, but that is normal. she does not go after any of the girls for no reason, so that is good. I left the peepers on Fi during the take over to hopefull have a firmer/calming hand at the helm, so far it seems to be working. Has anyone else experienced a takeover then a calmer hen house going forward?

I am having a problem that may be related to feather picking. My poor rooster is a true gentleman, and the girls act like they are grooming him, but they peck his giant red comb until it oozes blood. I brought him in to the basement where there is a giant dog crate where he has lived before. In this safe place he healed up and I put him back with the flock. Within 24 hours they had him just as bad as before. They also pluck his butt and Mama's. Not to the point of bleeding on the butts. I feel like they remember who they do what to and go right back at it even after weeks of separation. Anyone have any tips to avoid the comb damage? Blucote doesn't deter them. Total healing doesn't stop them either.
I have heard of this happening, but I do not have a rooster so cannot add to the conversation, but you might want to search the forums on "rooster getting picked on" or "attacked" or something like that... poor guy
sad.png

I would put some kind of peeper or bit on all those girls. I'm sure he is much happier living with them than in the basement though I certainly understand your reason for moving him there. I would probably do the same. Do something so the girls cannot clamp down on a feather, though they could probably still get a hold of his comb. Maybe peepers for the whole flock is the answer.

Thank you, will look for other roosters who are being victimized. Earl does have company as of the last half hour. I went to the coop and the two oldest hens were sort of hiding. The two young roosters have been terrorizing them and ignoring their status. . .taking turns. I brought Mama into the basement too. It was kind of funny, he was so excited to see her he did a wing dance. I told him not to think of it, and she growled at him. He stopped dancing. She raised him.

I would put some kind of peeper or bit on all those girls. I'm sure he is much happier living with them than in the basement though I certainly understand your reason for moving him there. I would probably do the same. Do something so the girls cannot clamp down on a feather, though they could probably still get a hold of his comb. Maybe peepers for the whole flock is the answer.
yes this

Back
Top Bottom