I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

There's a product called Rooster Booster Pick-no-mor. It's a truly nasty concoction that should do the trick. Just smear it on any area that is a target for picking. You can make your own if you can't find it. Take Vick's Vapo-rub and add a packet of grape kool-aid, unsweetened, and a dash of Pepto Bismol. Mix well.

Apply it every day until you feel the problem has been resolved.

That's one of the big chicken mysteries. Why do hens do that to the sweetest roosters? I would really like to know why he just stands there and lets them do it.

Here's Flo waiting at the gate to be carried in to bed in the garage. She's quite happy and content and feels safe. Notice her nesting crate.Here's Flo waking up this morning in her sleeping crate. And this is the warm, sunny window in the garage where Flo spends freezing days when her legs refuse to work. She can barely stand when her legs act up, and severe weather seems to trigger it. The mirror is something I came up with to get her to eat. She spends most of her time with the friendly chicken she sees there.

Last edited:
Flo looks comfy. You may want to try this to help her aches. you could put it out in her outdoor cage and in her dog kennel, or sunny spot when she sleeps to help her legs. Also I think i've seen people mention you can give chickens aspirin for pain in a small dose?

I am having a problem that may be related to feather picking. My poor rooster is a true gentleman, and the girls act like they are grooming him, but they peck his giant red comb until it oozes blood. I brought him in to the basement where there is a giant dog crate where he has lived before. In this safe place he healed up and I put him back with the flock. Within 24 hours they had him just as bad as before. They also pluck his butt and Mama's. Not to the point of bleeding on the butts. I feel like they remember who they do what to and go right back at it even after weeks of separation. Anyone have any tips to avoid the comb damage? Blucote doesn't deter them. Total healing doesn't stop them either.

I have the same problem here with my boy. The girls have him just about picked clean of his feathers and the pick at his comb. Rooster booster works for awhile then my girls must of gotten use to the flavor.I put pinless peepers on the worst offenders but they now have over come the blindness and have resumed the picking. I am trying to find the bits in the hope that they will work. One of the girls I put peepers on just could not function at all. I left them on all day hoping she would figure out how to eat or drink but it never happened. She sulked all day in the nest box even at snack time she couldn't see to move.

I have the same problem here with my boy. The girls have him just about picked clean of his feathers and the pick at his comb. Rooster booster works for awhile then my girls must of gotten use to the flavor.I put pinless peepers on the worst offenders but they now have over come the blindness and have resumed the picking. I am trying to find the bits in the hope that they will work. One of the girls I put peepers on just could not function at all. I left them on all day hoping she would figure out how to eat or drink but it never happened. She sulked all day in the nest box even at snack time she couldn't see to move.
I had one that couldn't take to it the first time, but I tried a few weeks later and she did fine. put them on her, then hold her for about 10-15 minutes, then place her by herself with scratch and meal worms on the floor in front of her. She may over come the peepers for the treats. that way she can take her time finding out how to function with out other chickens around snatching up all the treats and feel hopeless.

Flo looks comfy. You may want to try this to help her aches. you could put it out in her outdoor cage and in her dog kennel, or sunny spot when she sleeps to help her legs. Also I think i've seen people mention you can give chickens aspirin for pain in a small dose?

Thanks for that tip ! I'll give it a try!

I do give her aspirin, one half a baby aspirin every morning, and if she can't stand, she gets two halves, then another half later on in the day. Maximum two baby aspirin daily. it does help, and she takes it from the palm of my hand with no fuss.

ZINNIA - call Jim at Forco Colorado 1-866-383-2458 He has the Bumpa-bits for sale at a very cheap price. Or you can order via PayPal by going to ForcoColorado.com.

azygous, if you wanted to take a more natural route with the aspirin and Flo, blueberries have natural aspirin in them. I keep a bag in the freezer and if one of my birds seems to be in pain from something, I will give them about a tablespoon. I cut them in half so they can see the lighter inside because they don't especially like the really dark outside and often won't even try them. Once they try them though, they find that they really like them and I can tell by their behavior that they are not longer in pain, or at least not feeling it strongly.

azygous, if you wanted to take a more natural route with the aspirin and Flo, blueberries have natural aspirin in them. I keep a bag in the freezer and if one of my birds seems to be in pain from something, I will give them about a tablespoon. I cut them in half so they can see the lighter inside because they don't especially like the really dark outside and often won't even try them. Once they try them though, they find that they really like them and I can tell by their behavior that they are not longer in pain, or at least not feeling it strongly.
Wow, this is great, I did not know this, Thanks!

I e-mailed Jim regarding the bits, but haven't heard back yet. I notice he doesn't show the bits for sale on the web site any longer. But I bet he still has them. Best best is to phone him.

And thanks for the tip on blueberries, Lacy. I'll watch for them in the store when they come into season. Flo is already the most pampered member of the flock. A little more shouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom