I think I have a Runt

hucklehound

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
One of my chickens is smaller than the others. It's growing but not fast. I'm beginning to worry as I can totally feel her keel bone at 8 weeks. She just seems scrawny. She's a new hampshire red if that matters. She seems active and healthy otherwise... I think i might start weighing her every week. Any ideas? Are some just "runty"?

Last edited:
ive had two that were like that always smaller than the rest, i asked on here and was told it could be a bacteria inbalance, and to feed them plain unflavored yogurt since then twice a week i make up what i call a chicken parfait, with yogurt, chopped strawberries rasberries and grapes and crush cheerios and put it all together they love it and my chicks have put on weight and seem much healthier try that maybe and see if it helps
smile.png

ETA: all of my chickens LOVEE it they come running from wherever they are in the yard as soon as i step out the back door with the bowl in my hands

Last edited:
Raiderbabe gave you some good ideas to bump up the nutrition for the runt.
What I did with my runt was to take her aside at least once but preferably twice a day and offer her a feeding all to herself.
Also, if you don't have two feeders you might want to consider offering a second one; even if you only have a few chicks.
Bigger bossier chicks can chase a runt away from the feeder; keeping them from getting their fair share.

Back
Top Bottom