I think I have a silkie roo...

Quote:
Mine started to crow at 3 months. He only crows two to three times in the morning. I haven't heard him crow the rest of the day.

Chickenmaven, I have a couple pics of him at 8 weeks:

52077_p1000212.jpg

52077_p1000211.jpg

You can see the other (blue) silkie next to him, and it's quite a bit smaller at the same age.

Last edited:
I look at the first two photos and say BOY! Then I look and the 3rd photo and say, w-e-l-l...maybe not...

I honestly see characteristics of both. In person I think I could evaluate and give a better answer, but just from photos? Check to see how close or far apart the pubic bones are, and whether tight or loose.

we are worried about our two silkies as well. they are 3 and 3.5 months old. the combs are still small but they have had huge poof balls on their heads so have been kept quiet.

good luck. i hope you can keep your's if it if a roo. i'm not sure what we'll do if our Tweety is a roo. we couldn't keep him here.

Quote:
Big head poofs and small combs usually means pullets. The boys have smaller head poofs with streamer feathers off the back of the head and bumpier/wider combs.

Quote:
I've known a couple of chickens that have been sort of androgenous; they take on the flock-protection role of a rooster, never lay eggs, but are hens, nonetheless. I'm hoping this is the case for Puck, that s/he's a macho hen who doesn't lay, but also doesn't crow! I'd be happy to keep around a nonlayer as sweet and pretty as this chicken, so long as the neighbors aren't disturbed!

Quote:
Big head poofs and small combs usually means pullets. The boys have smaller head poofs with streamer feathers off the back of the head and bumpier/wider combs.

Crest size denotes quality of the bird, not gender.

Back
Top Bottom