I think I have been ruined

From what I hear, electric works good. I want to get one or two and rotate them around my pasture to loosen the soil, fertilize, and get rid of some weeds. Don't put the pen around any trees that you care about, they will kill trees.

Quote:
why is that?

They are so smart they can escape from a 10" x10" whole and so dumb you can not heard them through a 12' gate. They will tear up the ground and go under fences. Plus they love to eat your flowers when they get out. Then they also eat small animals if they get to close to them. Then there is the smell. YUCK
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
why is that?

They are so smart they can escape from a 10" x10" whole and so dumb you can not heard them through a 12' gate. They will tear up the ground and go under fences. Plus they love to eat your flowers when they get out. Then they also eat small animals if they get to close to them. Then there is the smell. YUCK
sickbyc.gif

I may have to rethink this. I have been reading up on keeping hogs, and was aware that they are escape artists and will till up the fields, but I didn't realize they could be that dangerous to the other animals. Makes sense. I do know they will eat snakes and rodents and I have been around some mean pigs. I was thinking housing them temporarily under pig nut and acorn trees for only a couple days at a time so they could happily munch on the nuts but it would be just as easy to rake up the nuts and dump them in the pen.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I may have to rethink this. I have been reading up on keeping hogs, and was aware that they are escape artists and will till up the fields, but I didn't realize they could be that dangerous to the other animals. Makes sense. I do know they will eat snakes and rodents and I have been around some mean pigs. I was thinking housing them temporarily under pig nut and acorn trees for only a couple days at a time so they could happily munch on the nuts but it would be just as easy to rake up the nuts and dump them in the pen.

They will eat kittens too and I knew a person who's goat was mauled by a hog when it got it head stuck in the hogs fencing. Some will eat there own young But they are distructive mostly to plants, grounds, and trees.

My family has raised hogs for many generations. Not all are mean but all are distructive. The best way to keep a hog penned is to raise it on concrete. It won't be on the concrete long enough to cause lameness. I would never raise them again.

I've helped corral pigs that have gotten out. It is an experience that you will never forget. They can turn on a dime and leave change, they are fast, stubborn and smart, and they leave these stinky, slippery little landmines when you are chasing them. You step on a land mine, fall down, they run back to whatever they were eating, and the whole game starts over again.

I've never kept them on my own, but I would consider it if I had the land. Home raised pig is about the best of good eats as far as I'm concerned. I get my pork from a local farmer and it is wicked good.

Good luck!

If you don't decide to raise your own, consider buying from a local fair through the 4H auction. We do that and pick out which local butcher/processor we want when registering at the auction. All you do is show up to the auction, buy the hog(steer, lamb, etc) and pay, pick up the meat when it's ready at the processor. The pig is hauled to whichever processor you pick for you. Before the auction begins, the 4H kids are with their animals in the barn. So if you were interested in how the pig was raised, fed, and such, the kids are available for the asking. And it's a great way to suppor the local 4H kids!

My friends did raise pigs this past year. I thought the pigs were hysterical! What character they have! They did get out on them once when the pigs were little. My friends, having a big heart, found it hard when loading them up to go to the processor, but they have enjoyed the bacon! And I think you are supposed to raise at least two pigs together, right? Good luck -- whichever you decide!

I just bought a pound of bacon from a local store here where I live and I will NEVER buy store bought again. This stuff is awesome. Locally raised and processed. And the smokey flavor far surpasses the crap you buy at Krogers or wherever you shop. YUM!! Im going to get two pounds next time. AND I saved the grease this time, too. Something I dont normally do.
But will I raise a pig? Nope. I will do the auction thingy probably.

Rammy

When I was in Hungary at the right times there would be a pig killing.It was an all day affair.Hard work but the food was AWESOME. I recall cleaning the intestines and stirring the vat of boiling fat chunks.

I guess it was in a way kind of gross,but I do wish my kids could experience it. I also recall the seasoned bacon that would be cooked over an open fire,and you would eat it with some freshly baked bread and fresh veggies and some wine. Oh my I want to do that right now.

Back
Top Bottom