I think I made a mistake, someone help!!

DelR

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
Alright, so I don’t know if I did something bad. I put the eggs on lockdown on (what I thought was) day 18. I have had such bad anxiety the past 3-4 days because NOTHING has happened. I posted a couple threads and got help from people, only to realize.... I miscounted the days. Today is actually day 19 and I thought it was day 24. The eggs have been in lockdown way longer than they should have. Now, I checked them yesterday(requested by other members because we were all curious) and they were all moving and happy. I’m hoping I didn’t mess anything up!!

Alright, so I don’t know if I did something bad. I put the eggs on lockdown on (what I thought was) day 18. I have had such bad anxiety the past 3-4 days because NOTHING has happened. I posted a couple threads and got help from people, only to realize.... I miscounted the days. Today is actually day 19 and I thought it was day 24. The eggs have been in lockdown way longer than they should have. Now, I checked them yesterday(requested by other members because we were all curious) and they were all moving and happy. I’m hoping I didn’t mess anything up!!
I think they will be fine. I've had eggs survive all kinds of crazy events. Don't beat yourself up over it. Good luck!

I'm sure you are probably OK.
You didn't mess up by 'locking down' early. Turning is critical in the first two weeks but after that, it has an insignificant effect.
Are the air cells the right size or alternatively did they lose the correct amount of weight to this point?
They are all at the fat end of the egg and look the right size!

The size of the air cell is what affects the weight loss. 13% weight loss is what you are trying to achieve during incubation.
If you believe they are the right size, continue as you were. If small, let it dry out for a day or so. If they are large, make the humidity as high as possible.

The size of the air cell is what affects the weight loss. 13% weight loss is what you are trying to achieve during incubation.
If you believe they are the right size, continue as you were. If small, let it dry out for a day or so. If they are large, make the humidity as high as possible.
I’ll try to describe what they looked like.. it took up the whole fat end and stoped when the egg started to get thinner? Probably not the best description but I don’t think it’s too small. And other people told me my humidity was too much during lockdown so I’ve kinda lowered it a bit.

Sounds like drawdown is happening if the air cell is that big! Not much you can do now, just keep the temp steady and try not to chew your fingers off.

When the chick is starting to get ready to hatch, the edge of the air cell moves a lot, as the chick prepares to pip through the membrane into the air cell. Usually it will get really lopsided, and you can look for the internal pip to show up in the lower left quadrant.
Lines are days 7 and 14, this would have been around day 18.
IMG_20200717_174044.jpg

Then ~ a day later (this was a slightly early hatch, as I recall)
IMG_20200718_071232.jpg

Back
Top Bottom