I think I messed up (bloody stool)

Yes, Corid and a sulfa drug are often given together. Since the US is a third world country in many ways, we don't have access to a coccidiostat that combines sulfa, but it's sold that way in Asia and Europe.
Yes its very frustrating how hard some of these things are to get. Equally frustrating that no vet will do something simple like a fecal without seeing the bird.

Which I understand somewhat, I don't expect them to give me and RX without seeing the animal, but knowing the results of a fecal isn't something someone can abuse like a drug.

I have one vet who's seen my birds in person and who will finally do things like a fecal without a visit. Too bad they don't work weekends :(

Try boiled rice and some yogurt or cottage cheese, or soft boiled egg mixed in. Feed all the chicks together since they take their eating cues from one another.
Thank you, good idea. I added her back in with the others with a boiled egg, and as soon as the others went for it she did too! Ate a little bit of yolk. Progress, I hope.

Not sure how things are going today. She ate some yesterday, the eggs, mealworms, and even some of her regular chick starter.

But she's lost a lot of weight. 532 grams on Sunday, only 470 grams today. That's a lot for a little bird to lose so quickly :(

Make a liquidy mash of plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. Buttermilk is an excellent probiotic that coats intestinal lining, helping deter coccidia infection. The boiled rice will help settle her digestive system and hopefully firm up feces.

I think we have finally hit a turning point. Sometime late this morning she decided she was hungry and has been eating her chick starter pretty ravenously. I've had to refill the bowl multiple times and she's on top of it the instant I put it down.

I know its too early to tell but I went ahead and weighed her again... 443 grams. I'm sure most of that is food in her crop but its the first time her weight hasn't gone down since I started keeping track :fl

Her poops are still wet and have a lot of mucus, but I'm not seeing anymore blood. Very cautiously optimistic.

EDIT:
Enthusiasm. She was hardly moving yesterday.

Last edited:
Mostly normal poops as of this morning! Still some mucus but they are back to being formed, not liquid.

I am so relieved. I truly thought she wasn't going to make it. Thank you so much to all the people who provided advice. Without it, things may have turned out much worse. I'm so grateful.

@dawg53 @azygous @Eggcessive

One more question, sorry for all the pings. How long would you wait before putting them back outside? Wondering if I should I finish the antibiotics first.
Damn I’m dealing with something like this right now it suck seeing a jolly chicken go from happy the day before to being a sad lethargic chicken that doesn’t want to eat the next day

Mix up more Corid at the same dose, and give it for 7 days. Give the sick birds a couple of drops of the undiluted Corid twice a day in addition to the treated water. They might not have taken enough of the treated water before. Remove any poops from the bedding, and keep the bedding clean and dry. Change the Corid water daily, and keep the waterers at shoulder height so they will be less likely to poop in the water. After 7 days, reduce the Corid dose to 1/4 of what you are using now, and treat 5-7 more days.

I'll do all of this.

I wanted to include that the only water they had access to was the corid water when I did the last treatment.

They've been outside all day and I take them back inside into their brooder at night to sleep since I don't have a good way (yet- I'm working on it) to keep them away from the adults inside the coop at night. As soon as I saw the blood this morning I completely cleaned out the brooder and have moved them back into it for now to monitor. Was 5 days not enough? I'm so puzzled how they went from totally fine yesterday to whatever this is today.

Back
Top Bottom