I Think I want Guinea Fowl

LeJeune1

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Allen Parish, LA
We are moving to our new homeplace in the country! About 6 acres and 8 miles from town :eek:) We discovered there are many ticks in the woods. We're thinking about getting a few Guinea. What should we consider? How many? Where should we get them? Keets or Grow ups? Thanks for any advice.

I would start with a coop. The size will depend on how many you plan to get. I would get no less that 4 as they prefer large flocks, I started with 10. Personally I would get keets to watch them grow up and so they can get to know you a little better, plus they will grow up knowing that the coop is where to roost at night.
Keep in mind that guineafowl are loud and like to roam around rather than being caged. Once you get use to hearing their sounds, they really are cool birds that are relatively hardy and in my experience just as good as chickens when it comes to insect pest control.

Guinea fowl are fun.
We have one young male, Snape, whom we fot at about eight weeks.
He is lovely and walks round with out goats.

Thanks. It only took me a few hours to build it.
Quote: Friggy, come build me about 10 of those... I'll pay ya?
tongue2.gif
LOL

This was my first year with guinea fowl. A friend gave me a dozen eggs and I hatched 8 pearl guinea keets. They are so much fun! I LOVE having them around. They can be loud and they sound an alarm when predators are around. Mine were raised with chicks and they free range with the chickens every day and come home to roost in the coop every night. If I had to choose guineas or chickens.... I'd have guineas, no contest.

we started our guineas with eggs hatching. We love our guineas. They are a bit nosy, well that too, meant noisy but they are great pest control without tearing our gardens up and also serve as alerts to us if something is happening outside in the poultry world - as in predators and make great alerts to us when folks are driving up the road to our farm as well.

Back
Top Bottom