I think it is a Vitamin Deficiency instead of Marek.

Candy1977

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2016
Here are some videos from this morning👇🏼

This is what she was doing on Friday July 29,2022. 👇🏼

Immediately I was told (by a friend NOT by anyone in this group) that it was Marek disease and probably best to kill her.

I started researching like crazy and came across some information that it could be a vitamin deficiency.

I isolated her and started given her a half of crushed up B complex pill (which includes riboflavin) in a small amount of water by syringe 2 times a day since Friday. I also gave her a scrambled egg each day. (Which was suggested by people in this group) I am very thankful for the information.

On Saturday morning she was looking a little stronger and was actually standing at times. She still had 1 foot that was curled.

Sunday when I left for church she still had one foot that was curled.

When we got home from church she was standing and taking steps and her foot didn’t curl. It was as straight as ever.

Today she even seems stronger.

So I wanted to ask is this normal for a vitamin deficiency or can it still be Marek disease?

Also, how long should I keep her away from my flock?

I will continue to give her the vitamins and the egg daily.

All of my other chickens are completely normal.

Last edited:
It is always a great idea to treat first with B vitamins in case of a deficiency. Usually a riboflavin deficiency will affect both legs and feet, and cause curled under toes progressing to paralysis. Usually when one wants to edit or delete a post, you go back to that post and look for the edit or delete box at the bottom of the post.

Last edited:
Immediately I was told that it was Marek disease and probably best to kill her.

I started researching like crazy and came across some information that it could be a vitamin deficiency.
Welcome To BYC
Glad to see she's improving.
Looking at your other thread, I don't see where anyone suggested it was probably best to kill her? Perhaps that may have been suggested in other groups you participate in.

I DO however see suggestions for giving Vitamin Therapy (B-Complex) to see if she makes improvement. It's good that you did more research to come to that same conclusion.
Sometimes a bird is not able to process vitamins well or for some reason they are failing and vitamins do get them over the hump so they can make a recovery. Whether they continue to recover and stay well, time will tell.

House her near her flock, if she's able to get around and no one is picking on her, slowly re-integrate her and see how it goes.

Here's your other thread and the Vitamin Therapy suggestions made. 👇👇
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/marek-or-vitamin-deficiency.1541119/
It could be Mareks disease at her age. But I would treat her for B2 riboflavin deficiency for a week or two to see if that helps. Get human super B complex and give 1/4 tablet daily, or a vitamin that contains riboflavin. Curling under of the toes on the affected foot can be Mareks, riboflavin deficiency, or nerve damage from injury. Hopefully it is not Mareks, but if you lose her, getting a diagnosis with a neceopsy from your state vet would help to know what the future holds.

Since she has improved already it seems far more likely that the vitamins are helping and it's probably a deficiency. I would continue those until you are seeing no more symptoms and for about a week after, the B's are very safe to give.

Since there is no treatment for Marek's, vitamin supplements are usually the first thing to do, to see if they help.

I was not saying that anyone on this group said to kill her. It was a friend of mine in real life. That is why I came to this group. I got great information from the people who commented.

Sorry if that is how you took it. How do I edit my post and I will clarify that.
My apologies!

I'm glad she is improving with the vitamins and hope she makes a complete recovery. For symptoms like that, vitamin therapy can be tried for at least a short period of time unless you are certain the bird is suffering and needs to be put down.
Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but worth a shot to give them a little time.

She wants out of that tote LOL I'd start some monitored visits with her flock if you can swing it. See how she does.

Nature’s Best organic egg layer crumbles

I don’t see a mill date but the big white tag on it is ripped in half so it might of been on there. I keep the feed in my walk in pantry inside my house. I buy one bag at a time also. So I don’t do bulk feed.
Is she laying eggs?
If not, then I'd feed her an all flock feed or chick starter until she comes into lay.
I know she's 17+/- weeks, but it usually best to keep pullets on starter or all flock until they start laying eggs. Getting too much calcium at a young age can cause some issues as well.

You can feed all your birds starter or an all flock year round if you wish, just provide oyster shell free choice.

I prefer that the chickens remain part of the flock, but they should be protected from getting picked on or bullied. If she is still having problems walking, let her have supervised visits. A wire dog crate with food and water nearby, can be good to use inside the coop or run to keep her separated. That way she can see the others and they her, but not get picked on.

It is always a great idea to treat first with B vitamins inncase of a deficiency. Usually a riboflavin deficiency will affect both legs and feet, and cause curled under toes progressing to paralysis. Usually when one wants to edit or delete a post, you go back to that post and look for the edit or delete box at the bottom of the post.
Thank you! Yes both her feet were curled in the beginning. Thank you for telling me how to edit. I will do better to clarify things in my post from now on. 😀

Is she laying eggs?
If not, then I'd feed her an all flock feed or chick starter until she comes into lay.
I know she's 17+/- weeks, but it usually best to keep pullets on starter or all flock until they start laying eggs. Getting too much calcium at a young age can cause some issues as well.

You can feed all your birds starter or an all flock year round if you wish, just provide oyster shell free choice.
She is not laying yet. I just started them on layer feed this past week. I was told from the lady at the feed store to start them on around 16 weeks. Before that they were on organic starter feed. Since I separated her I have been feeding her the starter. I have some here for my 2 week old chicks. I figured it would have more vitamins in it. Not sure if that is true.

So I will switch them all back on starter until they are laying.

Do you think she is okay to be closer to the rest of the flock or should I keep her isolated a little bit longer? I feel bad she is by herself. Although she is getting a lot of one on one attention💚

Thank you so much.

I was not saying that anyone on this group said to kill her. It was a friend of mine in real life. That is why I came to this group. I got great information from the people who commented.

Sorry if that is how you took it. How do I edit my post and I will clarify that.

Back
Top Bottom