I think it's chicken love

stonykill

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Canaan Ny
I have 38 chickens. Mainly Sumatra's, 7 RIR's, 1 Black Beauty, a Bantam Roo, and a few hybrids. 11 roosters total. Up until 4 days ago, the RIR's didn't want anything to do with the sumatra roosters. They would beat them up. An easy task as they are much larger than the Sumatra roo's. Anyway....4 days ago, one RIR escaped her pen and started hanging out with 1 Sumatra roo. He walked her around the property....as if to show her around. She escapes every day now to hang with him for a while. When I return her to her pen, he stays along side her outside her pen. Every morning now, he waits for her, atop her coop, crowing, until I let her out. It is really cute. A few pics....

RIRloverboy.jpg

rirloverboy2.jpg

here he is serenading her this morning. When I let her out, she ran right out looking for him....
IMGP1063-1.jpg

pretty darn cute if you ask me. Chicken love.............

I think it's so very nifty when chickens form attachments. My dominant EE roo, Carl, has a favorite hen (and her back shows it), but he has a hen he adores: an EE named Rebecca, one of the original 8 raised with him from chicks. SHE can refuse his advances and he's respectful of her wishes. (But her eggs were fertile because one of them hatched into my first GrandChick which Buffy the BO hatched for them.) He will snuggle with Rebecca, dust bathe with her, they clean each other's faces, etc. He forages with his favorites, and the only time Rebecca wasn't present in that group was when she was molting.

Their daughter Samantha is nearly the spitting image of Rebecca, but LARGER. Carl is a large rooster. She's now laying some lovely sea-foam green eggs, too. But she stays away from Carl.

But I digress. Chicken love is adorable. Your story was delightful to read and I so enjoyed the photos! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom