I think my chick is dying! URGENT!

I have already contacted the hatchery and they are refunding me. I forgot to take pictures of the poop before I changed the paper towels. I have not started the corid yet, because I don't think I'm going to. I believe it is just intestinal lining shedding at this point. I will definitely start it. The poop was orangie red. It was not foamy, it was solid.
Are you wanting to avoid medicating of any kind to keep them organic? I was just assuming bc you are on non-medicated organic feed right?
I have a lot of battles with respiratory, cocci and mareks bc I have so many birds and it's in my soil apparently. I never medicate an egg layer bc I can't determine who is laying what and I don't want to eat medicated eggs obviously. Some may not agree, but I think the goal is to build a flock resistant to what you are exposing them to. You may lose some birds but boosting there immune systems with extra vitamins and probiotics has in many cases been just helpful as meds. Good luck!

Since not all species of coccidia are on all properties, even if adult birds have built up resistance, if they are sold or moved to another property, they could come into contact with a species they had never encountered and even as adults can contract coccidiosis.
I have seen many cases right here on BYC where adult birds get very ill and some even die from coccidiosis.

I have seen many cases right here on BYC where adult birds get very ill and some even die from coccidiosis.
Yes, I have adult sick birds all of the time. I clearly have issues in my soil and I certainly don't think my case is the norm, or no one would ever chicken farm. It's also the reason I only add baby chicks, in hopes not to add anything new. I've tried everything and still lose a lot of birds. My goal now is that I will eventually have a resistant flock.

These birds were sick out of the box. Losing them is sad. Losing them all is also a waste of money. I can't see the hatchery refunding over the next few days, if it comes to that. Unless you get that test done so you can be sure. In 3 days if it's coccidiosis they are going to say "oh well can't control what happens at your house". How are they and their droppings looking now? Still foamy? Are you home with them?

Yes, I have adult sick birds all of the time. I clearly have issues in my soil and I certainly don't think my case is the norm, or no one would ever chicken farm. It's also the reason I only add baby chicks, in hopes not to add anything new. I've tried everything and still lose a lot of birds. My goal now is that I will eventually have a resistant flock.
Resistance to coccidiosis isn't like disease resistance which can be genetic. Coccidia resistance only comes from exposure.
Do you ever send your dead birds to your state poultry lab to find out for sure what they are dying from?
Before I started breeding, I performed cursory necropsies myself but now with extremely rare birds, I send every dead bird to the vet school at Mizzou to be posted. I have to know exactly what killed them. So far, no disease, just cancer and heart attacks.

Resistance to coccidiosis isn't like disease resistance which can be genetic. Coccidia resistance only comes from exposure.
Do you ever send your dead birds to your state poultry lab to find out for sure what they are dying from?
Before I started breeding, I performed cursory necropsies myself but now with extremely rare birds, I send every dead bird to the vet school at Mizzou to be posted. I have to know exactly what killed them. So far, no disease, just cancer and heart attacks.
Not yet, I know I've had various issues. Many don't resemble each other at all. I'm not really sure how to go about that. I usually give Corid to every new batch of babies at some point bc they show signs of cocci. And by resistance I mean the ones that have survived have resisted it. Currently I have a year old brahma that's limping(about 2 months now) and a Silkie that I'm thinking has cancer bc of a growth on her side. I've lost about 15 birds in the past year.

Back
Top Bottom